Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Port Canaveral to St Augustine

We are taking a trip up to St Augustine from the inlet at Port Canaveral this weekend. We will be going overnight in the ocean. From what I have read, there are no space center restrictions unless there is a launch. Is this correct? Also, what is a good distance from shore while cruising the east coast in this stretch?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    We are taking a trip up to St Augustine from the inlet at Port Canaveral this weekend. We will be going overnight in the ocean. From what I have read, there are no space center restrictions unless there is a launch. Is this correct? Also, what is a good distance from shore while cruising the east coast in this stretch?
    I highly recommend you subscribe to USCG Local Notice to Mariners for your district. This is an excellent resource for both inshore and ICW. Here's the link to latest one for your district. This is published each Wednesday or Thursday, so look at the next one to get the latest.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm07102019.pdf

Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 03-11-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3. Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

You are correct if there isn't a scheduled launch. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, there is a launch scheduled for this Saturday, March 15th at 1856 hrs. It is well worth it to be offshore just outside the marked restricted area on your chart and watch the launch. It is a Delta IV launch and though not quite as spectacular as a shuttle launch, still very impressive.

Just curious, but why would you want to run offshore for that particular stretch?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just curious, but why would you want to run offshore for that particular stretch?
    Because we are running overnight. And now because we want to see the launch. We will be taking off from Melbourne, and it is about 3 hours to the inlet, and then 12 hours in the ocean. We were timing it to be at the inlet about an hour before sunset.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I highly recommend you subscribe to USCG Local Notice to Mariners for your district. This is an excellent resource for both inshore and ICW. Here's the link to latest one for your district. This is published each Wednesday or Thursday, so look at the next one to get the latest.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm07102019.pdf

Thanks!
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    You are correct if there isn't a scheduled launch. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, there is a launch scheduled for this Saturday, March 15th at 1856 hrs. It is well worth it to be offshore just outside the marked restricted area on your chart and watch the launch. It is a Delta IV launch and though not quite as spectacular as a shuttle launch, still very impressive.
    Wow, that is luck. I actually looked and didn't see anything, but looking at another site shows that launch. We will be in St Augustine by Saturday morning, however, March 15th is Friday, and 6:56 pm was just about the time we were going to be passing Kennedy. So, I will have to adjust. I think we need to leave a bit early and get to the other side of the zone before it closes (3 hours prior to launch). We can watch the launch and continue on our way. I actually worked at Nasa for a few years and saw a couple Shuttle Launches from the visitor area near the VAB. And I have lived here since '65, and seen the Apollos. Never saw one from a boat though.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Because we are running overnight. And now because we want to see the launch. We will be taking off from Melbourne, and it is about 3 hours to the inlet, and then 12 hours in the ocean. We were timing it to be at the inlet about an hour before sunset.
    Whatever floats yer boat, but that sounds like a miserable, nighttime run to me. You can see the launch from the ICW, and your camera won't be rolling as much. They let you run the ICW at night too.

Seriously, I think I would let the weather determine my route, but inside would be much easier... unless you're a point and shoot, autopilot kinda guy. I had the privilege of watching a shuttle launch from the Banana River and would have caught the last shuttle launch from Titusville had it not been delayed. I would think your vantage point from the ICW would be even better.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Whatever floats yer boat, but that sounds like a miserable, nighttime run to me.
    I know, it should be a blast! If someone told me that all I could do with this boat is float up and down the ICW, I wouldn't waste my time. We do these things not because they are easy...
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I know, it should be a blast! If someone told me that all I could do with this boat is float up and down the ICW, I wouldn't waste my time. We do these things not because they are easy...
    If your wife enjoyed that overnight run across the Gulf, she'll absolutely have a blast running up the east coast in the dark in beam seas! You go, boy!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93