Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cruising from FL to NJ this April, Ocean vs ICW.

Meant Murrell’s Inlet not Pawley’s Island.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Meant Murrell’s Inlet not Pawley’s Island.
    I would go with Ricks suggestion of Murrels Inlet. You have about 15 miles if you run into Georgetown. If you do t want to go around Hatteras the other option is to go in at Moorhead and run the Eastern route. You can either go back out at Oregon inlet or stay inside to Norfolk. If I’m stuck inside I always go this route because it knocks about 18 miles of and it’s all wide open. A couple of years ago I made the trip at cruise speed and ran Great Egg inlet to Ruddy, and then Ruddy to Origan inlet then down the sound. I don’t ever need to run Oregan inlet again but I heard it was in better shape since they’ve been working on the bridge. After I did that that route I decided I’d take the extra miles around Hatteras over going in that inlet.

I realize my boat testicles are not as big as most but Murrull’s Inlet would cause me more anxiety than some of the others. Also is it tricky to get to a Marina if you draw 5’ or more? I have always wanted to visit Murrells Inlet by boat but thought it was tricky and not much deepwater slips available.

Oregon Inlet may be a bit easier, now, as the new bridge is up and running and they are dredging all the time. But you would want local knowledge as the channel shifts often.

If you come through Annapolis, be sure and let me know if you want a free dinner on me and the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I realize my boat testicles are not as big as most but Murrull’s Inlet would cause me more anxiety than some of the others. Also is it tricky to get to a Marina if you draw 5’ or more? I have always wanted to visit Murrells Inlet by boat but thought it was tricky and not much deepwater slips available.
    You could go a little farther to Little River, great inlet and only around 5 miles to Marinas. There’s 2 or 3 together, the Myrtle Beach Yacht cluband a couple others but I don’t remember their names.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    The boat I have now was kept at Crazy Sisters Marina in Murrels Inlet when I bought it and there was no problem getting out, I draw a little over 5 feet.

This is great information! Thanks for the feedback (and the drink invites). Wynyah Bay is out. Murrell's will be a target w/ Little River as an option. However, I can make it to Cape Fear too, as long as I'm not fighting a headwind. If there is a good wind from the North, I'll stay inside. From Cape Fear I can go through Morehead and continue up another hour or 2 to a Marina for the night. Then head to Coinjock for another overnight. Then out through Norfolk to Barnagat. I realize I'm adding an extra day but the trip isn't all business. Mike when you say the Eastern Route is that Pamlico Sound? When I came Southbound, I did the Pungo/Alligator River route.

I do appreciate the feedback for I need to have several options in case the weather or crew call for a change.

Eric

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missi...ects/NJInlets/

This is where you can find the soundings of Barnegat inlet and Oyster Creek Channel, (the channel from Barnegat inlet to the ICW), check the sounding date.

The north jetty as you enter the inlet is submerged and has claimed her share of boats.

When you get to the lighthouse the channel makes a hard left and goes past the coast guard station and marina and makes a gradual 180 around the shallows.

Small boats will run across the the cut, but it is unmarked and not advisable.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This is great information! Thanks for the feedback (and the drink invites). Wynyah Bay is out. Murrell's will be a target w/ Little River as an option. However, I can make it to Cape Fear too, as long as I'm not fighting a headwind. If there is a good wind from the North, I'll stay inside. From Cape Fear I can go through Morehead and continue up another hour or 2 to a Marina for the night. Then head to Coinjock for another overnight. Then out through Norfolk to Barnagat. I realize I'm adding an extra day but the trip isn't all business. Mike when you say the Eastern Route is that Pamlico Sound? When I came Southbound, I did the Pungo/Alligator River route. I do appreciate the feedback for I need to have several options in case the weather or crew call for a change. Eric
    Yes, the Pamlico. If you’re not on a sightseeing trip I prefer the Pamlico. Very few other boats to deal with and no docks, plus it’s 16 or 18 miles shorter.