Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Paint - Paint - Paint

So, as the son begins to peak out of the clouds in Buffalo, NY the repeated request of my better half is to find a way to paint our 1972 43' Double Cabin. As you might imagine, finding somebody that can paint a boat of this size is a challenge. I don't believe it is possible to paint it (even just the bottom) Without permitting her in a suitable hanger/enclosure. My basic problem is that moving this boat on the land is not practical and finding a shore-side shop has proven to be a daunting task.

Any suggestions?

I finally have her running well (knock on wood), we installed faux teak on the deck and redid / updated the interior. Now, we just need to figure out how to have her painted!

Attaching some pictures of the faux teak decking, etc.
    Attached Images

Re: Paint - Paint - Paint

Nice deck. Did you use Nauteak?
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I ordered it from a site called banggood.com

Beautiful boat! A 43DC looks best without fly bridge.

On my 43 DCFB, I had the entire deck and aft section primed and painted with Awlgrip 2000 outdoors on the hard it came out great - no blemishes at all. Yard that did it was a Brewers too (fancy), think I got lucky. IMG_3625.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sgharford; 03-08-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Wow - they did that outside? That is truly amazing.

I don't think my "paint guy" is willing to spray outside - the prospect of over-spray is one of his main concerns.

What is your overall height? I don't know about in Buffalo, but down south, they have hydraulic trailers that can move big, heavy boats. They oftern have to get highway permits for over width, over height or over weight. If you can find a warehouse with heat and can get under the power lines it might be doable.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Its a boat. Move her on her own bottom to where you can get it done. When I had my stripes repainted I moved from southern Lake Michigan to Bay City on Lake Huron, Appox 400 miles to get to a yard willing to take on the project.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Winter Harbor Marina in Brewerton, NY is more than capable of giving you an outstanding paint job. They have an indoor spray booth that currently has an 80 footer getting a complete paint job. Give them a shout.

And when your heart stabilizes after getting the quote you may want to Google "Roll and Tip" painting method to apply Awlgrip or similar.

It sounds like you know how to use your hands and you will save a couple of engines worth doing it yourself.

Food for thought.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I used roll and tip. Interlux bright side. 8 years and still looking great.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration