Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wanted: Detroit Diesels 8v71 TIs

Looking to replace my currency DDs. Model number 70823300. Please call 9546829551 with any leads. -Kit

Re: Wanted: Detroit Diesels 8v71 TIs

Try T&S Marine in Crisfield, MD. They used to work on a lot of DDs, many of them were 8v71s. It's possible they might have a set still around.

I have a set of take out 8v71 ta with Allison m20 They have around 2000 hours. One engine I took the heads off put have all the parts. I repowered with Cummins.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Not sure what you’re looking to spend but an 871 long block directly from MTU will run you about $16k.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

I never heard of anyone replacing a DD. Most rebuild them or upgrade to modern engines. What problems are you having?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I replaced mine with a long block because of water intrusion through the inter cooler. The cost of an in frame rebuild was about the same as getting a brand new block from MTU. I figured get the new iron and then I would know what I had and how it was maintained going forward.
    John
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    I replaced mine with a long block because of water intrusion through the inter cooler. The cost of an in frame rebuild was about the same as getting a brand new block from MTU. I figured get the new iron and then I would know what I had and how it was maintained going forward.
    Exactly my problem.

I actually like the idea of what you're doing for many reasons... First is that hopefully the engine was
    done correctly by MTU. Second is that you get to really clean and detail the ER when the old engine
    is removed..... a great opportunity to inspect everything that may have been given a cursory look only
    with a regular rebuild in place. Good luck with it and enjoy many trouble free years with it...

Walt

Thanks Walt. That was my reasoning. Fingers crossed!
    John
    Wickford RI