Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Wanted: Detroit Diesels 8v71 TIs

Looking to replace my currency DDs. Model number 70823300. Please call 9546829551 with any leads. -Kit

Re: Wanted: Detroit Diesels 8v71 TIs

Try T&S Marine in Crisfield, MD. They used to work on a lot of DDs, many of them were 8v71s. It's possible they might have a set still around.

I have a set of take out 8v71 ta with Allison m20 They have around 2000 hours. One engine I took the heads off put have all the parts. I repowered with Cummins.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Not sure what you’re looking to spend but an 871 long block directly from MTU will run you about $16k.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

I never heard of anyone replacing a DD. Most rebuild them or upgrade to modern engines. What problems are you having?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I replaced mine with a long block because of water intrusion through the inter cooler. The cost of an in frame rebuild was about the same as getting a brand new block from MTU. I figured get the new iron and then I would know what I had and how it was maintained going forward.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI