Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helm Seat Recommendations

I need to replace the two helm chairs on the bridge. After 30 years the old ones have had it. I was going to rebuild them but sometimes it’s time to bite the bullet and replace. The cores are gone, the plastic/fiberglass is cracked, aluminum post and slides are shot. What do y’all recommend? I want foot rest and a good quality chair but don’t want to buy the the factory! The prices are crazy on some. Don’t mind paying for quality but there is limit. I helped out on a boat that had very nice helm seats and the owner paid what he said was a premium price for them. I looked at the under side and a lot of the hardware was rusting bad. The chairs were on a really nice 100’ plus custom yacht. Owner said that he had them made in a custom shop in Miami about two years ago. Don’t want to end up with something like this.
    If it ain't broke don't break it by fixing it!

Re: Helm Seat Recommendations

Pompanette; their ordering service is awful, at least it used to be, but their products are really well made. Dealing with them is a pain, though.

Seems like there are always really nice helm chairs available on the used market. I'd keep my eye on ebay, craigslist, facebook and magazine publication classifieds (in the bite). Your money will go WAY further on the used market than the new.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have a pair of Pompanette "Anglers Specialties" series helmseats. I had them custom made. http://pompanettellc.com/current-cat...ies-helmseats/ If these appeal to you, they are made in California and I dealt with the guy there Scott Sneathen. Excellent hands on service from Scott. AVOID AVOID AVOID the Pompanette retail store in Fort Lauderdale at all cost!
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I have a pair of Pompanette "Anglers Specialties" series helmseats. I had them custom made.
    I love those seats. Why did you choose to delete the arm rests?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I have one of them on my Hatteras as well. I believe there wasn't enough lateral room on Eric's boat, but can't swear to it. I bught mine after I saw his. I did keep the armrests, but then again mine is on the bridge and there is only one seat.

Eric is also correct about the FtL store. Scott was great to work with- directly.

I got a good deal on a Stidd seat at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show years ago. It was a demo, but how much use could it have gotten in four days? It was just what I would have ordered and could be carried right to the boat. It adjusts in every direction and height, has a folding footrest which makes the Admiral happy, and is very comfortable for those long ocean passages.

My original Pompanette flybridge seat had plywood which delaminated. While I kept the hardware for the rebuild I wish I had sprung for the Stidd much earlier.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    I love those seats. Why did you choose to delete the arm rests?
    What Jim said. Not enough room for the arms.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Can you buy just the seat? I have the same seats (with arms) but the wood in the seat bottom is rotting. I replaced them with cheaper seats for now because I couldn't get a lead on where to buy them, and I think I can redo the originals at some point. They are obviously well made to have lasted 40 years.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Another alternative would be to simply rebuild your original chairs. The metal (probably aluminum) can
    be powder coated for not a lot of money and the actual seat and backrest incl arms can be re done at
    most custom upholstery shops. Of course if you're very handy you can do them yourself and save
    yourself some boat bucks..

Walt