Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Wallpaper removal and Aformosia repair/replace

Thanks for the advice on the router Boatwright. Makes sense. I purchased a 4 1/2" Dewalt saw with a diamond blade that seems to cut pretty well. Will need to use a staight edge for a guide and will use some of the old paneling as test strips to see how it splinters but so far looks like it may be the best of the options. Will still need to use a router though for the switch and plug outlet holes.

I am hoping to get all the prep work done this weekend so that I can start the paneling work next weekend. I will definitely insulate. Planning on using Rockwool as someone else recommended. I am planning on putting cable drops on three sides of the room for future and have one old flexible drain pipe from the flybridge sink to replace with PVC before starting the install. All the old glue has to be sanded on the face of the studs and flooring prepped as well for the hardwood.

The old paneling was glued so I plan on using a small bead of construction adhesive on the new stuff to make sure it is secure against the studs. I am going with 3/4" hardwood throughout the salon and helm per the Admiral's request and am not sure whether to put the paneling up or the floor in first. I am thinking it will be easier to do the paneling first then just cut the paneling along the bottom for the flooring to slide under like you do a door casing. That way I am not dragging the paneling across a newly finished floor.

More to come.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Wallpaper removal and Aformosia repair/replace

Update: Removed all the paneling to the studs and insulated with Owens Corning Thermafiber Ultrabat. Similar to Rockwool but much more affordable. Only way I could find the Rockwool was by the pallet for $600. Spent about $100 on the Thermafiber. Wound up using a Dremmel with a router bit with a bearing and the old panels for a pattern. Worked pretty good overall. Had to some minor hand work and fitting was a chore but got it done. Used 1-1/4” SS 18 gauge brads and paneling glue to secure the panels to the studs. All paneling is done and we are working on staining now.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC