Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Wallpaper removal and Aformosia repair/replace

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Once again, wife's handiwork on new hallway wallpaper.
    If that’s the stuff that looks like beadboard we have it too and we like it.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

On mine, and some are different. The panels are secured with small, colored, ring shank nails. They were very common back in the day home paneling was the rage. Dont be surprised if it is also glued. 1/4 inch plywood pa sling is very easy to work with and you can precut and finish it prior to installation. I'm sure there are other sources, but World Panel in North Carolina is very easy to work with.
    https://www.worldpanel.com/product-p...-2440-x-1220mm
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 03-03-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    If that’s the stuff that looks like beadboard we have it too and we like it.
    I've seen the beadboard look wallpaper. Very nice. This is a waterproof vinyl, textured, stripe on stripe. Very thick, and wifey spent much time and effort to install.

Ordered 12 sheets of 1/4” paneling from World Panel Monday. Seems they glue it up to order so should be here in a couple weeks. Plan is to remove one panel at a time and use the old panel as a pattern and a router with a router and flush trimming bit. Has anyone done this?
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Good plan, and you'll have the opportunity to prefinish the panels. I've tried repairing veneer with peel and stick, and paper backed contact cement application.... it just isn't my gift, wavy, bubble, curled...some have the talent for it, just not me. Good luck with your project, post picks. On my boat, I used a simple thinned tounge oil finish. Where water staining has occurred, I'll tint it. About a zillion coats with old t-shirts and it'll look good.

Update Sunday June 2nd. Took several days but all paneling is removed. First couple sheets on the starboard side had SS Phillips screws securing the paneling which had been bondo’d over the screw heads so no way to get them out but to drive a pry bar behind the screw. Thankfully it was only the first couple sheets. Someone must have pulled them at one time to access wiring or plumbing. The rest of the paneling after the first couple sheets was glued and finish nailed. They came off fairly easily. Had to pull the entertainment cabinet and have started pulling the flooring. The helm has parquet and there are a few pieces from under the entertainment cabinet that were not glued in if someone needs them. The new paneling came in and we have started staining it using the Sam’s match stain. Still pretty light but seems to be aging. Next is to clean up wiring, replace a drain hose from the fly bridge with PVC while I am in the wall. Contrary to what I originally thought, I don’t think the wallpaper was factory. I think a prior owner had to get into the wall and boogered it up and then papered over the mess. Just my current theory. Will provide an update as I progress.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

it can be hard to keep the router bearing from jumping and ruining a perfect cut on 1/4" ply. a length of plywood wide enough to support the base of the router with a true straight edge will give a smooth glide for the tool and a true edge for the bearing. consider insulating. it made a serious difference for us

I haven't cut any wall panel, but the teak and holly plywood flooring I cut with an 80 tooth carbide 7 1/4 circular saw. Use painters tape on the cut line, and Cut from the back, finish side down.

Are these panels matched? Do you put a trim piece over the seams ? Edward

The stain will be light. It takes about 12 months for it to darken up to match the existing woodwork. I have built/repaired a few cabinets on the boat and all of the new afromosia remains lighter than the old for quite some time. I also used the Sams version of the 407C stain. Don't worry, it will darken.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI