Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Transforming the early 90's pickled oak interior

I just noticed this boat. I think its one of the best jobs I've seen to transform that aweful pink white washed oak interior. It looks good.

https://www.lukebrownyachts.com/list...-sou-ii/244952

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Transforming the early 90's pickled oak interior

If that's in fact what they did.... wow. Is it possible Hatteras built it this way for someone?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I had kitchen cabinets with that white washed "pink" look. I tried for all I could to get the white out of the grain so I could varnish, and it did not work. I wound up painting them white which looked fantastic. I doubt with that much wood grain remaining they were ever whitewashed. IHO
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I've never seen a Hatteras with Oak that was not OEM white washed. That was the look at the time that boat was built. If you read the listing, they say all wood was refinished. I believe that is what was done which is why I posted it here because I was amazed that they made it look that good.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I seem to remember when they were very popular. It was called white ash but who knows what the
    actual wood was. I agree with Sky that it looks really good...in the photos. The cost of having something
    like that done must have been significant. We had a couple of friends that had the white ash interior and
    it looked fine ...... for the first few years. After a few years of use however, wear at corners and scratches
    made it look shabby. Traditional teak or afromosia may not be fashions cutting edge but it really never
    goes out of style.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I've never seen a Hatteras with Oak that was not OEM white washed. That was the look at the time that boat was built. If you read the listing, they say all wood was refinished. I believe that is what was done which is why I posted it here because I was amazed that they made it look that good.
    I am too. I cannot imagine that it's all solid and that the panels HAVE to be veneered. Must have been some pretty hefty veneer as the white wash goes IN and you have to sand down THAT much, so the risk is going through the veneer.....

I'd love to talk to the guys that did it. I am not averse to doing it but you have to have the meat on there to do it. I don't like the white boats but there's some very cool layouts from that period that I would then "restore".

I remember spending 3 months straight stripping all the paint off the trim, every window, door, base board and ceiling trim, in a turn of the century house in Cleveland. It was a bear but it came out gorgeous. (Used a heat gun..... wonder if there was lead in there..... nah. I'm fine.... )
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

That's very pretty.

I just posted on my Roamer thread about repurposing old doors, which were painted with white enamel, into pretty mahogany boards and cleats. After breaking the doors down, I ran the individual component boards through a thickness planer to get down to clean wood. I took off 3/32" (three passes at 1/32") to get down to mostly clean wood. But even with that much removed, one of the boards still has a field of white specks in a spot where the old enamel soaked in deep.

I can't imagine doing a whole boat.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    That's very pretty.

I can't imagine doing a whole boat.
    you can't imagine doing a whole boat?
    i have watched your progress, you are doing a whole boat!

any chance that they used a stain and poly all in one?
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Of course it's possible that the transformation was done by applying new veneer rather than remove
    the old finish. I think that would be much easier.

Walt