Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey Pascal - Chartering an 84' Lazarra

This weekend we had a club raft up at University Cove near Bakers Haulover.

I was rafted up to an 84' Lazarra named Chip.

Over beverages with the owner, he mentioned that he charters the boat 100 days per year at $7000/day. He also mentioned that he is just breaking even at this rate. I was blown away but curious if these numbers seem realistic.
    Last edited by Passages; 02-17-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Re: Hey Pascal - Chartering an 84' Lazarra

I ve seen it around. They ve been doing charters for a while. 100 days a year is a lot but doable for a boat with limited owner use and a solid reputation. A few years ago with the Johnson 70 we were doing around 100 days a year

As to just breaking even, 100 days at that rate as to cover everything and then some incl interest, depreciation and all.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Interest, depreciation, maintenance, insurance, salaries, dockage, advertising and other costs add up. As a business it's all part of the equation. Why invest in something that doesn't make money. If it's an owner looking to subsidize personal use that's different.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yes, limited owner use and the charters cover all costs.

The $7000 daily rate really surprised me. In my world, that's a lot of money.

It s a bit on the high side but I guess it works for them. Day charter rates are all inclusive (incl fuel food drinks etc) And being over 100gt they can take 12 people without resorting to bareboat contract.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The concern I would have would be wear and tear on the boat- not so much on the machinery, as on all the interior spaces etc. Seems a lot of use on it. But it's his call.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The concern I would have would be wear and tear on the boat- not so much on the machinery, as on all the interior spaces etc. Seems a lot of use on it. But it's his call.
    There should be a budget item for a "soft goods" fund to redecorate every few years.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    There should be a budget item for a "soft goods" fund to redecorate every few years.
    He spends a "boatload" on machinery as well. Said he had both engines rebuilt recently at a cost of $350k. For that price I was thinking he could drop in new engines. Next on his list is one of 2 gennys. The port was blowing non stop blue smoke.

No doubt, charter boats, especially those with rotating captains have accelerated wear & tear than owner/operator boats.

Soft goods don’t costs a lot and are easy to redo every 3 years.

Surprised they already had to rebuild the engines. They have C32s but it all depends how they are run. I ve seen rent-a-caps pushing boats way too hard. On sea trial for the 84 I run, the guy accelerated so hard we got massive cavitation. Brokers and seller weren’t happy

On day charters though there is very little wear n tear in the engines as distances are short and boats are rarely run on plane. Plus the C32s in the 84’ don’t have to work hard... at 22kts they re running at about 50% load.

These boats have 27.5 Ohnos. Nuff said.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

These boats have 27.5 Ohnos. Nuff said.
    "Ohnos". Too funny. I'm going to steal that.