Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink A 32 V solution to a shower light

Because of my height I wanted a recessed light fixture for the shower. I found an LED that would do the trick, knowing I would have to wire 110v AC. When I got the fixture to the boat and opened the packaging, I found the perfect 5" by 1/2" disk to install, but there was also a control box (bummer). When I opened the control box to see how to hook the wires up, I found a neat little tag, that read, 25 to 42 Vdc! So as a test, I set up the light and ran 32Vdc to it. It was bright and beautiful. I let it burn for 2+ hours, and it did great, got a little warm to the touch (like a fresh cup of coffee), but the manual said it was insulation friendly and could be in direct contact.

After letting it run for the initial 2 hours, I started to switch it on and off like a 10 year old eating donuts, and drinking coke. no effect. I tested on and off for about 2 days. Today, I cut a 4 1/4" hole in the sower ceiling, and now I have the perfect 32V light fixture. Fingers crossed I am not swapping it out every week.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Re: A 32 V solution to a shower light

Can you post a link to the light?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Andor photos of the light installed
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

20190215_173825.jpg
    Light from Home Depot

20190215_173716.jpg
    Inside of connection box
    20190215_173709.jpg
    Testing
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

20190217_113005.jpg

Finished! I can build engines, clean teak, wire a killer car stereo, but damn if I can figure out how to post picture in the right orientation.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Oh, and 60 watt is too bright, shower needs serious cleaning and or new gelcoat! I could not see how bad it was before. I am either going to try a dimmer, or see if I can find a smaller wattage.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

At the risk of insulting your intelligence.... the circuit IS GFI protected right?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 02-17-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Not sure the correct way to answer that. It is DC, and I did bond the "body" of the light to the green bonding wire. It is wired the same way it was with the 32 vdc fixture that hung down, it is just recessed and LED.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    Not sure the correct way to answer that. It is DC, and I did bond the "body" of the light to the green bonding wire. It is wired the same way it was with the 32 vdc fixture that hung down, it is just recessed and LED.
    OK, yes, sorry. Brain fart on my part. It's not connected to 120V AC. Ignore my statement.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

This is an awesome post. Im 6'-2" and always hitting my head on that stinking light! I habe been looking for a 32v solution for a while. I'll happily volunteer as the next guinea pig 😁
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)