Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for Hatteras specific electrical ideas

New to me 1975 Hatteras 64' MY. Very little has been changed from delivery (weird I know). Having fun learning how to work all the vintage systems, but dang if they are solid as the bottom! One issue I cannot get my head around though on AC side.

When I turn on the main refrigerator in the kitchen, it triggers a fault, throws that fault breaker, and the 4 mains coming in. I have to turn off the 'fridge breaker, turn the selector switch to other than #1 shore, and turn on the four main breakers and the fault breaker. Once they are on, then I can turn the selector back to #1 shore and all is good.

Thinking the 'fridge was old, and the compressor or something was throwing a fault, I had an appliance guy come aboard to check it out. We ran an undersized 100' extension cord to a land GFCI outlet, and plugged in the 'fridge. All systems on the refrigerator checked out, and he saw no fault or issue. he also said if I got rid of the fridge to call him, those things last forever...

Bottom Line, the fridge has run for days plugged into a too small extension cord. and cools like a champ. I plug it back into the boat, and POP goes the fault, and main breakers!

Any ideas out there, I am at wits end on this. Could the compressor draw cause my fault breaker to trip if it has become weak with age?

Thanks in advance.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Re: Looking for Hatteras specific electrical ideas

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    New to me 1975 Hatteras 64' MY. Very little has been changed from delivery (weird I know). Having fun learning how to work all the vintage systems, but dang if they are solid as the bottom! One issue I cannot get my head around though on AC side.

When I turn on the main refrigerator in the kitchen, it triggers a fault, throws that fault breaker, and the 4 mains coming in. I have to turn off the 'fridge breaker, turn the selector switch to other than #1 shore, and turn on the four main breakers and the fault breaker. Once they are on, then I can turn the selector back to #1 shore and all is good.

Thinking the 'fridge was old, and the compressor or something was throwing a fault, I had an appliance guy come aboard to check it out. We ran an undersized 100' extension cord to a land GFCI outlet, and plugged in the 'fridge. All systems on the refrigerator checked out, and he saw no fault or issue. he also said if I got rid of the fridge to call him, those things last forever...

Bottom Line, the fridge has run for days plugged into a too small extension cord. and cools like a champ. I plug it back into the boat, and POP goes the fault, and main breakers!

Any ideas out there, I am at wits end on this. Could the compressor draw cause my fault breaker to trip if it has become weak with age?

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like a bad breaker

Those white GFI breakers do go bad. Most people just bypass them. What else is on that Ships Service? You many not even need a GFI on it.

I have bypassed several of those. Once you disable the white breaker by removing the wire that trips it, then you can add GFIC plugs where needed and all is well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

1975 to about 1979 Hatteras used that system where they had a GFI for each ships service main. In the 80's they quit that and just put GFI breakers on the lights & plugs breakers within each service panel. I think the compressors and motors were tripping too many under the previous setup and they changed the way they set up the panels.
    Sky Cheney

That makes sense to me. Has any one else bypassed this breaker?

20190217_200907.jpg
    (if you take the picture sideways, it works)
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Sound like a GFI issue to me. You can eliminate the breaker by plugging something like a couple of blow dryers in the fridge outlet and see if it holds
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If the refrigerator is grounded as it should be, plugging blow driers in will not be a good test. Look for ground leakage before writing off the gfci.

Add a gfci to the extension cord. Use another gfci outlet. Dont use blow driers.

If your not familiar with electrical systems hire a professional. It beets hurting someone or burning the boat up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Like I said, these are known to go bad/get weak. Open the panel and cut the control wire coming from that breaker. Your main will then hold and all you need to do is put individual GFI plugs in where needed. I have done this on a couple of the ships services on a 1978 60C.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Like I said, these are known to go bad/get weak. Open the panel and cut the control wire coming from that breaker. Your main will then hold and all you need to do is put individual GFI plugs in where needed. I have done this on a couple of the ships services on a 1978 60C.
    All "wet location" outlets are GFCI already. All three heads, and the kitchen sink. Also two in the ER and one on bridge. What else needs it?

I had real trouble accessing the breakers. Cabinet has shifted slightly and cover is PIA to open. which wire is the control wire to mains?
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Many surveyors will write up a Hatteras for not having GFI's on the plugs not knowing that they are protected at the main panel so I'm not surprised someone already added them. You should be covered then.

I can't tell you what wire without looking at it. I remember it being a very small gauge white wire. Open it up and get a picture of it.

If you call Steve McPherson, he could tell you. I'd have to look at it or open up that panel on the 60C that I did before I could tell you for sure.
    Sky Cheney