Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Wrap

Vinyl Wrap

I have an idea and wanted to see if anyone was interested in a share.

As you can see my interior hoist pole has a number of pits on the top half. I’ve tried sanding them but they are to deep. I could patch then paint but that’s a lot of work. My idea is to vinyl wrap it with a brushed aluminum that looks very close to the original. Here’s where the share comes in. They sell it in 60” widths. So a piece 60” by 7’ will coast 150.00 plus tax. We can get 4 poles out of that amount. I could split it up and four of us can spend about 37.00 each. Are there and interested parties? If you have never used it look it up on YouTube. It’s really easy.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Vinyl Wrap

Ive wrapped a number of race cars in vinyl. Even the slightest imperfections or bumps will show. Not saying its not a good idea, but prep carefully.

Most sign shops will sell a piece of vinyl so you don't have to buy the whole roll. Also, there's a lot for sale on Ebay.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I wrapped mine in afromosia veneer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I found a shop that wraps cars and bought what I need for the pole. I’ll let you know how it turns out this weekend.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty, you might want to get some of this 2 part filler to smooth out the surface before applying the vinyl. I used it to fill all the surface imperfections before repainting my sailboat.

Evercoat Polyester Glazing putty # 400.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

I didn’t get any interested parties so I found a shop that sold me a scrap piece for 50.00. Took about a hour and it turned out great.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

That was weird. All photos were taken the same way. Sorry. 1st photo was the top completed. 2nd shows the lighter color aluminum on the bottom. The 3rd was a complete wrap.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks great.

How difficult was it to wrap the pole. Did you need two persons? Was there a trick to aligning everything straight? Do you use a heat gun?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

If I did it again I would cut the vinyl one inch wider than the pole. I gave it 6” so I could pull on it. That caused wrinkles which took time to smooth out once I heated it with a hair dryer. The lower section I cut it to fit with the extra inch. It took two minutes for that piece. I lined the seam in forward part of the pole and trimmed it there. No seams show. All in all I’d do it Again in a minute. A second person is helpful if you need to heat and rub out wrinkles.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California