Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

The Old Refriderator Thread, Reboot

It’s time to pull the old White Westinghouse... of course, once we got it out of the galley the delivery guys refused to bring their truck into the boat yard... Hatteras owner problems...We’ll be giving her a bottom job this week so are bringing a new Lazy Boy Nitro sofa on board and a refridgerator. The trick is getting it out, then in the galley. The sofa? Much simpler.
    Attached Images

Re: The Old Refriderator Thread, Reboot

I’ve heard everyone cuts them up in 1/4’s. Can’t wait to see the outcome.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Our side windows on the aft deck lift out and most anything will fit through. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

My fridge appears to be OE and is not keeping things as cold as it should. I have no prob cutting it up and getting it out but how do I get a new one in without cutting a hole in galley ceiling. The stairway measures short of most fridges available. I could have a fridge guy maybe recharge the system to get things cold again or deal with it til it breaks then I'm forced to replace
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I do a lot of refrigeration work as an advanced DIY guy. One of the things that I have learned is that some refrigeration and AC equipment is exceedingly bomb proof and can be revived even when everyone tells you it has to go. This is more true as the equipment gets older. Of course the replace/repair equation is easier for me because I di my own work and enjoy learning how things work as I fix them.

That said, sometimes its charge, start capacitor, even relatively cheap compressor/dryer, etc. I have revived many systems for under $100 when someone said a new system which can be $1k-$5k. Especially in your case where retrofitting is so painful the cost benefit equation changes. Do you know why it does not work properly? Here are some of the possibilites:

Start capacitor
    Start relay
    defrost heater
    defrost board
    main board
    Evaporator fan
    Compressor fan
    Compressor
    Leak

Many of these parts are low cost on eBay etc. I just fixed a 20 year old GE fridge that needed an obsolete defrost heater that I got on eBay for $15. Took longer to melt the ice block than fix the heater.

Let me know if I can help.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    My fridge appears to be OE and is not keeping things as cold as it should. I have no prob cutting it up and getting it out but how do I get a new one in without cutting a hole in galley ceiling. The stairway measures short of most fridges available. I could have a fridge guy maybe recharge the system to get things cold again or deal with it til it breaks then I'm forced to replace
    You should be able to go between the engine rooms and up through the salon to get it out and the reverse for the new one.