Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sebastian Inlet

Sebastian Inlet

We are planning on a day trip tomorrow out Sebastian inlet. Any tips? Seas are predicted to be 2 foot. Perfect day, except for the inlet part.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Sebastian Inlet

Local knowledge is a great thing. Check with some locals.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What Boatsb said. As far as running the inlet.... Unless flat calm or close thereto one rule I've always obeyed is to keep wind and current going the same way..... (Although at 53'/55,000# you can probably loosen that a little)

Someday when I'm bored I'll type up my Boca inlet story... A story of a 5 foot keel, fouled prop, 20 knot winds, currents, dredges and low bridges. (I survived without any paperwork)
    Last edited by oscarvan; 02-15-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Iv'e been running the Sebastian Inlet for 35 years.

Only use the proper connecting channel between the ICW and the inlet proper. You will see locals cutting off corners out there but there are extremely shallow bars everywhere. Our only option to get to the bridge used to be super dicey before the connecting channel. The bridge height is not the standard ICW type. Depending on the tides its limited to 40' +/-. The current rips under that bridge, respect the water flow there and make deliberate and decisive movements if slow or stopped west of the bridge. Do not drift south between the bridge and the ocean where you see breakers ans surfers. Stay more towards the pier but off of the rocks - maybe 20 yards or so. Commit between the ocean and the bridge and do not stop. The worst conditions are outgoing tide and strong wind from the east. I have used that inlet hundreds of times but there are incidences every year from lack of experience or respect for those conditions. In rough conditions its trim tabs up, minimum speed for steerage, time the waves and don't pitch pole or broach. In the worst conditions it's 6-8' standing waves that look like a washing machine and will scare the crap out of you. Most day its just very strong current and sloppy for about 60 seconds.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Thanks for the input. We didn't go out the inlet yet, I think I will watch others first to get a good idea of the channel.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Confused. If you have a 53 MY why go out at Sebastian? You re not going fishing so... why?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It's like running on plane. Because I can. Why not and who's gonna stop me.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Confused. If you have a 53 MY why go out at Sebastian? You re not going fishing so... why?
    In this case, I was planning on meeting someone that was going fishing. For longer southern trips (Keys, Bahamas), Sebastian is only a couple of hours away and I can get there before dark even if I leave later in the day. Ft Pierce would be the better choice, if I leave early enough to get there and to the ocean before dark, which doesn't have to be too early, it is only 6 hours away. Still, for just going out to the ocean on a day trip, Sebastian is ideal, distance wise.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Once you understand Sebastian it's pretty easy, except for full outgoing and 15kt+ easterly winds. In 35 years it only scared the crap out of me once. Now you want to talk about a nightmare inlet for a vessel with any draft - St. Lucie Inlet with all the shifting sand is nerve racking.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    Once you understand Sebastian it's pretty easy, except for full outgoing and 15kt+ easterly winds. In 35 years it only scared the crap out of me once. Now you want to talk about a nightmare inlet for a vessel with any draft - St. Lucie Inlet with all the shifting sand is nerve racking.George
    Guess I was born lucky. Ran out St. Lucie in ‘15 by accident. Missed my turn north on icw. Knew it was local knowledge but saw an inbound trawler and ran his reciprocal. Good water all the way out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC