Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Troubleshooting stalling Detroit Diesel 6V92

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Sounds electrical not fuel. It sounds like the voltage drop when cranking causes the other engine to stall

Do they each have their own battery or do they share one?

If they have their own batteries make sure they re not paralleled. Some boats have a parallel switch not a solenoid

Measure voltage drop for each engine while cranking and compare

Years ago I had a boat with twin gassers. One of the engines shared start battery with the generator and the voltage drop cranking would stall the gen
    I tend to think its electronics too but not sure how the voltage drop impacts a diesel. I would understand with a gas engine.

Each engine has its own battery and I swapped the batteries to rule out a bad battery but the problem persisted the same way. I am suspicious about what is going on with the way the battery isolation switches are set up. Starboard battery serves both the engine and the generator Port Battery serves the port engine and DC equipment(house).

Down the road, I intend to install a separate generator battery isolated from the engine starter batteries. Also considering a separate house battery or combine with the generator starter.
    Hans
    1996 Hatteras 43SXB

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Have you tried using the parallel switch to see if that makes a difference when starting the port engine after having started the starboard?
    No, but that is a good idea... was just re-reading the owners manual and read about that switch
    Hans
    1996 Hatteras 43SXB

I added two extra batteries to the two that came OEM. I was not satisfied with the original setup and its starting capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by hfschwing View Post
    I tend to think its electronics too but not sure how the voltage drop impacts a diesel. I would understand with a gas engine.

Each engine has its own battery and I swapped the batteries to rule out a bad battery but the problem persisted the same way. I am suspicious about what is going on with the way the battery isolation switches are set up. Starboard battery serves both the engine and the generator Port Battery serves the port engine and DC equipment(house).

Down the road, I intend to install a separate generator battery isolated from the engine starter batteries. Also considering a separate house battery or combine with the generator starter.
    If the engines are electronic voltage drop will affect them

I would also look at the charging system. Could bad isolator cause a voltage drop on the other battery? I wonder

May want to temporarily disconnect any charging wires
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Not sure if the question was answered, but I believe we're not taking about an electronic engine here.

A mechanical diesel would NOT stall if you ripped every wire off it there is. AFAIK these mechanicals do NOT have low oil pressure/overheat shutoffs. (boatsb can confirm this) The only way you can kill them is to take away their air or fuel.

That said.... to normally shut it down IS to take away their fuel. There's two mo's. A "stop" button which activates the shutoff via a solenoid (relay) or it's wired into the ignition and when you turn off the key the engine stops. I believe this shutoff needs electricity to stay open (ie it's "normally closed") and gets this from the ignition. Find it, and get your multi meter out. A serious voltage drop COULD cause it to slam shut.

Other than that I'd be looking at fuel supply.

These things are a methodical process of elimination. Get the engine fuel that is in no way affected by what the other does and see what happens. Slowly work your way back through the system.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I know there was a 43 out there with DDEC's. If so, voltage could be an issue for the ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Not sure if the question was answered, but I believe we're not taking about an electronic engine here.

A mechanical diesel would NOT stall if you ripped every wire off it there is. AFAIK these mechanicals do NOT have low oil pressure/overheat shutoffs. (boatsb can confirm this) The only way you can kill them is to take away their air or fuel.

That said.... to normally shut it down IS to take away their fuel. There's two mo's. A "stop" button which activates the shutoff via a solenoid (relay) or it's wired into the ignition and when you turn off the key the engine stops. I believe this shutoff needs electricity to stay open (ie it's "normally closed") and gets this from the ignition. Find it, and get your multi meter out. A serious voltage drop COULD cause it to slam shut.

Other than that I'd be looking at fuel supply.

These things are a methodical process of elimination. Get the engine fuel that is in no way affected by what the other does and see what happens. Slowly work your way back through the system.

The original post mentions a possible ECM issue. That means he s not dealing with a mechanical engine but electronic which will be affected by voltage drops

How would starting the second engine cause a fuel supply problem on the first one? This doesn’t make any sense.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I love a good mystery. Is this a DDEC engine? It sure sounds electrical..there is enough primed fuel in the engine and filters for it to run quite a while, even if new fuel draw was blocked. And if it's not a DDEC engine, about the only electrical component is the fuel shut off solinois attached to the governor run lever. I'd have someone observe that linkage as you initiate the fail routine. If it is a DDEC engine, just know that we all love you, and bless your heart. .
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-15-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I love a good mystery. Is this a DDEC engine? It sure sounds electrical..there is enough primed fuel in the engine and filters for it to run quite a while, even if new fuel draw was blocked. And if it's not a DDEC engine, about the only electrical component is the fuel shut off solinois attached to the governor run lever. I'd have someone observe that linkage as you initiate the fail routine. If it is a DDEC engine, just know that we all love you, and bless your heart. .
    The last sentence is great!
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

This is not fuel related. It is low voltage. This is a DDEC engine. There is nothing wrong with having DDEC, but the ECM has to have stable voltage. I would start by looking at all electrical connections and grounds. If there is a Vanner voltage regulation box, that could also be the issue.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-15-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI