Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Troubleshooting stalling Detroit Diesel 6V92

If the charger looks bad, I would disconnect it right away and replace it. It could be a fire hazard.

Years ago I had a charger fail on the first day of a charter up in Newport. Woke up in the morning to a dead boat. We had been on shore power over night but with only one cable connected for AC (only one outlet avail). The boat had separate start banks for the mains and a house bank. Problem was that the 3412Es would crank and fire up but shut down as soon as the key was released. Made no sense. Took me half an hour to restore power but I never figured out what happened besides the dead charger which I replaced a couple of days later. The bad charger should not have affected the start batteries unless the isolator or combiners had failed somehow.

I like full redundancy and when having a single charger connected to start and house banks that redundancy is compromised
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It's a 12volt boat so chargers are easily available. If it's not a wet location you can use a standard charger. The wet location chargers for small boats will not have enough power to properly charge the batteries. They are usually 10 to 15 amps.

Post a picture of the space the old charger is in. I sell a ton of the victron ip44/3 chargers for midsize boats. 3 fully isolated banks. Interfaces to a remote or your electronics and haven't had a failure since they started shipping a few years ago.

PM if I can help
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

did this get fixed? Curious what the problem was.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)