Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Troubleshooting stalling Detroit Diesel 6V92

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The original post mentions a possible ECM issue. That means he s not dealing with a mechanical engine but electronic which will be affected by voltage drops

How would starting the second engine cause a fuel supply problem on the first one? This doesn’t make any sense.
    OK. My bad on the ECM part. Missed it.

If fuel supply due to partial blockages is marginal and there is a directer path to one engine it may take it all or most of it causing the one that was running to stall.

But it's a moot point as the voltage drop with a DDEC is the obvious answer.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Sorry I missed the ecm part as well. Does sound electrical if there’s an ecm.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    OK. My bad on the ECM part. Missed it.

If fuel supply due to partial blockages is marginal and there is a directer path to one engine it may take it all or most of it causing the one that was running to stall.

But it's a moot point as the voltage drop with a DDEC is the obvious answer.
    Each engine has its own fuel system from the tank through the valves and their own filters and on to the engine. Starting one engine would not affect the fuel going to the other one even if they were drawing from the same tank. Any fuel restriction would most likely show up under heavy load, not idle.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by hfschwing View Post
    Yes one tank but all new fuel lines, filters and fuel/tank polishing.
    This problem just started after new fuel lines? How does it run at WOT?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Look at post #3.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

6. Re: Troubleshooting stalling Detroit Diesel 6V92

I agree with Scott that it is electrical. BUT, a properly installed DDEC is electrically isolated side to side unless the battery banks are paralleled. There should also be a dedicated 12 VDC to 12 VDC or a 24 VDC to 12 VDC power supply feeding their respective DDEC ECU.
    If one engines DDEC power is taken from the other engines start battery and the other engines DDEC power is taken from the house battery, or some combination of that, that would contribute to the conditions that the OP is experiencing. There should be isolated DDEC power.

That holds true for all versions of DDEC except the system used on the 24V-71. You don't want one of those!
    Last edited by kelpy; 02-16-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hfschwing View Post
    Yes one tank but all new fuel lines, filters and fuel/tank polishing.
    A new fuel filter in in a box.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Not sure if the question was answered, but I believe we're not taking about an electronic engine here.
    Thanks for your thoughts but they are DDEC's I should have made that clear. I just thought that the two engines would be separated electronically but from the other posts, they may not be. So that is the path I need to follow.
    Hans
    1996 Hatteras 43SXB

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    This problem just started after new fuel lines? How does it run at WOT?
    No, the problem was present before any new fuel lines installed.
    Hans
    1996 Hatteras 43SXB

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If the engines are electronic voltage drop will affect them

I would also look at the charging system. Could bad isolator cause a voltage drop on the other battery? I wonder

May want to temporarily disconnect any charging wires
    Thanks, you may be on to something.

The battery charger looks to be in poor shape at least from the exterior. It sits below an ice maker that is located in the helm deck above that had a leak in the water supply line sprinkling a spray of water on it for who knows how long(I only bought the boat recently and am in the process of rectifying some long-neglected issues). It is all rusted and I had to add straps just to keep it held in place. So I assume the interior electronics could be compromised as well.
    Hans
    1996 Hatteras 43SXB