Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Re: Securing New Float Switch in Bilge

Either product will suit your need. I personally used 4200 with no issue. the primary difference is one is a permanent bond the other you can remove.

Re: Securing New Float Switch in Bilge

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

As someone who is new to boating, I have a lot to learn about every aspect.

Nick

Nick, what ever you decide send photos of what you did.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the input!

As someone who is new to boating, I have a lot to learn about every aspect.

Nick
    Oak is for furniture. Not for mounting pumps in water.

There are many better choices. I'd use a 1/2 or 1/4 inch PVC board. With it's the foam core it's easy to cut and shape and when roughed up will adhere with 4000/4200/5200.

For permanent installations it can be epoxied in but dont use polyester as it will separate.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I don’t doubt anything said re Rule switches. I’ve got 7 onboard including high usage shower sumps. I’ve had zero issues in the four years I’ve owned Aslan. But I’ve also worked to stop the leaks which might account for my lack of experience with problems.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use Ultra switches as well. The first one I installed in my Hatteras is over twenty years old- it still works just fine. I have three or four of them. They are also made by a small manufacturer in the USA who owns the design. Which West Marine attempted to steal a few years ago, another reason I don't shop with them. So far, I have never had an Ultra switch fail.

I agree about which adhesive to use- 4200 should be fine. the prep of the mating surfaces is more important than anything else. I think all my switches are screw mounted using the sleeve that Ultra supplies, if I am not mistaken.

Make sure you get the right voltage switch. They are not interchangeable; he makes them in different voltage ratings.

So that's where all my hair went.... I wondered. LOL

i too grew weary of the rule switches failing/sticking and went with ultra after reading about them here.
    literally standing on my head to change the center pump switch drove me to find something reliable.
    simple design and it works.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I use Ultra switches as well. The first one I installed in my Hatteras is over twenty years old- it still works just fine. I have three or four of them. They are also made by a small manufacturer in the USA who owns the design. Which West Marine attempted to steal a few years ago, another reason I don't shop with them. So far, I have never had an Ultra switch fail. I agree about which adhesive to use- 4200 should be fine. the prep of the mating surfaces is more important than anything else. I think all my switches are screw mounted using the sleeve that Ultra supplies, if I am not mistaken. Make sure you get the right voltage switch. They are not interchangeable; he makes them in different voltage ratings. So that's where all my hair went.... I wondered. LOL
    Down in Daytona for the race and stopped in West in Jax for some paint. Hoped to save freight and do a price match. Bought two quarts of Perfection marked $109.99 each for $64.11 each. I appreciate West warehousing it for me.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

As a result of the feedback I received in this thread, I gave up trying to figure out a lazy/cheap way to install the Rule float switch I had on hand.

I went ahead and bought a Ultra Pumpswitch Junior. I liked the fact that it attaches to the existing bilge pump using a hose clamp. That made a secure mounting much simpler in a location that was awkward to access below the master bed. Note that the hose clamp is supplied by the customer, it does not come with the pump.

I am including a few photos of the unit and the installation.

Thanks for the input!

Nick
    Attached Images
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Nice look Nick.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563