Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Securing New Float Switch in Bilge

(I am new at this.)

Need to figure out how to secure a new float switch in the bilge.

Old switch died and when I went to remove it, the bracket came out with the switch.

Now I need to find a way to secure the new switch so that it stays where it should be instead of floating around in what it is supposed to be sensing.

The switch I have in the system is a new Rule Super Switch. (I have now seen here on the forum that there are folks who no longer trust these switches!)

I have tried to attach the switch to the Rule 2000 pump with the little bracket that came with a new Rule 2000 pump I installed in another location but couldn't manage to get the bracket to clip to the (already installed) pump in the bilge.

As there is really no place for the switch to wander off to, I am thinking that if I could attach it to something heavy enough to keep the switch sitting right side up on the floor of the bilge, that would be all I need.

Any suggestions for methods or materials? I believe the bracket for the switch I removed had been poorly glued to the floor of the bilge. Is there something I could use to attach the bracket to the hull even though there is some residual water and whatever covering that area?

Thanks,
    Nick
    (1984 53' Extended Deckhouse)

Re: Securing New Float Switch in Bilge

Can you use an underwater curing epoxy to mount a wood or starboard block and then screw the switch to that?
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Couple of years ago I replaced all my bilge pump, switches, wiring etc and mounted everything on L shape brackets made with starboard which can be screwed to a stringer or bulkhead

I ve also seen in done with welded alum or SS brackets
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Oldlaxer1,

I have never used an underwater-curing epoxy. But from what I have read, I am under the impression that the area of the bilge to which I would attach anything would have to be clean and dry...and I don't think I can make that happen.

I am not familiar with StarBoard, but it seems from an article I read that it would float, so - like wood - I would have to secure that as well.

Perhaps I could use a piece of concrete tile backer board and secure the bracket to that. It should give the switch a stable base that wouldn't float.

Pascal,

Thanks for the photo. It makes the concept very clear.

I may resort to that if I can't come up with a simpler solution.

This is for the aft bilge pump which is under the master bed and partly under the shower sump. Not easy to get to.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the mounting bracket that you made. I would be concerned that your bilge pump would be completely submerged by the time your float switch was activated. It makes more sense to me to mount them side-by-side. Thoughts?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The switch and pump need to be secured so it doesn’t move around. All it takes a little shift fornswitch to hang or be blocked by a hose or hull. Especially in the back of the 53 where you have the hose connection the water tanks

Any switch I replace in the future will be an ultra switch which besides reliability is simply attached to the rule pump worth considering in your case
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I really like the method of using aluminum or stainless steel brackets. My cruisers is set up that way.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Pascal,

After doing some more research on float switches, I was just coming back to this thread to comment that I will probably be going with an Ultra switch after reading about how many folks have had problems with Rule and other switches.

Besides the increased dependability, I was taken by the sensible strap mount that will easily attach it to the existing pump already in place (and secured).

My thanks to all for their comments!

Nick

After replacing every float switch in my boat.... twice, and burning up a couple of VERY expensive bilge pumps due to float switches sticking.... I had enough and switched them all over to ultra switch float switches. I put the seniors everywhere I had an alarm circuit and juniors where no alarm circuits existed. They've only been in a few months but I LOVE them so far. Better mousetrap hands down, were a breeze to install, and will be a breeze to service. I wish I had back all the hours, blood, sweat and cuss words I have spent on those stupid rule and attwood float switches. Seriously, my dog has toys that are higher quality than those float switches whose role is to keep my boat from sinking.

The Ultra's are expensive, think it cost me about $900 to do all bilge pumps and shower sump (6 on my boat), but if it keeps me out of the bilge constantly screwing with chinsy float switches I no longer trust at all, then it was money well spent.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 02-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL