Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Seaworthiness of a Carver motoryacht

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    That's what I think and that is why I told him to look at the Hatteras 58 LRC in Key West. He'd have a lot more boat and a lot safer boat for about the same money. I never felt safe on my friends Carver in bad weather even though we were only in the San Diego Bay, I sure won't want to be in the Caribbean Sea in one.
    I'll take a 58 LRC any day, anywhere. (well, almost). But from a maintenance standpoint it's a whole different bal o' wax. If OP is dependent on others to keep all those systems going he's gonna end up in the poor house. And, it's a LOT more intricate boat to operate. You have to understand your systems. It's not like jumping in a Carver and turning the key. Oh wait....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I don't think that anyone's brought up the most important point - life is too short to drive an ugly boat!
    Somewhere around my post #10 or so I said I wouldn't want to be caught dead on a Carver.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I had a 2000 53 voyager for 10 years. It had QSM 11 635hp cruised at 26 mph burning 46 GPH. Great use of space but would beat you to death in anything over 2 ft waves. I had it on the Great Lakes which is one wicked body of water! Had it out more than once in 4 to 6 ft plus and came back alive with nothing broken but it was not any fun or for the faint of heart!

The 58 LRC is a huge boat. A friend of mine had one- it has a great deal of interior space. Perhaps a smaller LRC would have interior room more or less comparable to the Carver? As far as a sea boat goes, there would be no comparison. The Carver is not designed for weather, let along heavy weather.

Stubby? Stubby? STUBBY?so a 58 is sleek, but a 56 is stubby?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Stubby? Stubby? STUBBY?so a 58 is sleek, but a 56 is stubby?
    He said the "euro-styled 56". That's the one from the 2000's that only lasted about 2 years before they stretched it to 60. It's not the 56 from the early 80's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Smile Re: Seaworthiness of a Carver motoryacht

Okay then, my panties were getting all wadded up.Now I can relax. 😁