Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 12v engine room LED lights

I kept the same pull down switch in each engine room. I tapped into the 32v light in the ceiling and added the 32v to 12v step down there. When I pull the switch the 32v lights come on first for about 2 seconds then the LED kick in. I looked for my records and could not find the exact numbers, however my installation was three years ago and the technology is far better today than it was when I installed mine. Below please find the information where to buy the LED lights. I will try to find the step down information for you and send it
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Found them. You can pick which you like best.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i replaced the 2 12v screw in bulbs(like household bulbs) with led screw in bulbs that look like corn cobs, led's all the way around, they were very bright but didn't last that long. i did this years ago so maybe technology is better now
    I have three of these in my engine room with excellent result. Ordinary 12V bulbs were busting way too often. These provide sufficient light and have lasted a year so far and none have busted so far.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

I went a slightly different route in my ER. In past boats I only had 12v lighting in the ER, which is great and all until the battery is dead or you need to disconnect the battery to do some work. So in this boat I already had a 'reasonable' amount of 32v ER incadescent lights. So I added 110v 24" and 36" led strip lights. I think I added 5 and want to add about 4 more (need to add lights forward of engines and outboard of engines).

Absolutely amazing how much it lit up the ER and I now have a redundant engine room light system with both AC and DC lights. So if the gen goes out, I have lights, if the batteries die, but the gen or shorepower is still working I have lights.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Great point about using both AC and DC power sources for your engine room lighting as a back up.

Regarding 12 volt DC LED bulbs. I try to find the LED bulbs that are rated at 9 - 15 volts DC not just 12 volts due to multi step charging of my batteries. I worry about the longevity of constant 12 volt rated LED bulbs that are receiving 13 - 14.8 volts during charging while the bulbs are in use. Voltage drops below 12 volts while in use may affect them as well.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. These are 12 Volt DC LED bulbs I am using on my boat. They are rated 10 - 20 Volts DC.

https://wattalight.com/collections/1...led-light-bulb

Jon
    Last edited by jrbrein; 02-15-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

After reading some of the comments here I think I’m going to use the 12v lights that I bought and add 110 volt lights that will run off the inverter. I did see a few small led 12v lights on the site rusty recommended that I like. I also saw that the voltage range is from 9-60 volts on many of their products. Might be an option for you 32v guys.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575