Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

12v engine room LED lights

I am looking for recommendations for 12v engine room led lights. I purchased scandvik. E500 and says it has 1500 lumens I thought two would be enough for each engine room but I find it’s still feels dark. I thought about using a deck or spreader light but don’t really want to keep buying lights to only be disappointed again. Thoughts ?
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Re: 12v engine room LED lights

Rusty, aka Seven should chime in. You have to wear sunglasses in his engine rooms.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

i replaced the 2 12v screw in bulbs(like household bulbs) with led screw in bulbs that look like corn cobs, led's all the way around, they were very bright but didn't last that long. i did this years ago so maybe technology is better now
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I put 4 24” strips in both engine rooms. Had to install a step down from 32 to 12. Took me two hires per engine room, then took me two weekends to clean each room that I thought was already clean. I installed them in plastic tubes to prevent hitting and braking them. Cost was about 75.00 per room. It’s like day light in there. Have fun.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty do you know the part number or at least the brand.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I installed 4-4' and 3-2' LED light strips in my ER replacing 5-4' florescent fixtures. It's a single ER. I left the 32V bulb fixtures in place for emergency lighting. All my LED lighting is 120V. Very bright and Rusty was right about showing any dirt.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

For non emergency lighting you can get 120v LED fixtures on Amazon. They look like fluorescent fixture but sealed and very bright LEDs

I replaced the original fluorescent fixtures with these on the 84 Lazzara i run. Much brighter
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDHX6EM..._Fs0yCbJ9498KB

I used similar ones on my 53
    Last edited by Pascal; 02-12-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I put in 4 foot led shop lights from Home Depot, just one fixture per engine room, they are incredibly bright, in fact next time I see Rusty I will have to see how bright his are. Of course they are 110 volt, but not much draw on the inverter when not plugged in. I think they were about $49.00 each and are the 2 bulb model. I also put the single bulb version in the existing head fixtures. They made me realize what a crappy shaver I am. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    For non emergency lighting you can get 120v LED fixtures on Amazon. They look like fluorescent fixture but sealed and very bright LEDsI replaced the original fluorescent fixtures with these on the 84 Lazzara i run. Much brighter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDHX6EM..._Fs0yCbJ9498KBI used similar ones on my 53
    What kind of switches did you use with these? Do they have to be vapor proof?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    What kind of switches did you use with these? Do they have to be vapor proof?
    You can use any switchbyou wamt. I kept the original switches. On a diesel boat they don’t have to be vapor proof
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat