Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 53 hatteras

Re: 53 hatteras

“Caribbean cruising”. Stabilizers are a must or you will never go past Georgetown, Exuma.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by mderlick View Post
    The engines are 6CTA s. I plan to use it as a liveaboard, with some carribbean cruising . I have looked at 1 boat, but intend to spend some time investigating others. One thing i have noticed is that most if not all of the older model 53s seem to have saturated aft decks, behind the flybridge, usually under the dinghy . I wonder what it would cost to repair the damage ?.

I will advise when I find "the one".

regards

martin
    It's good that you are educating yourself about the boats before buying. As far as repairing soft decks, the big thing i can think of is to NOT trust anyone who gives you an estimate or a quote. The sellers and their brokers may get a buddy to give you a low-ball estimate so that you buy the boat. Even after you buy it, some yards will give you a low-ball estimate knowing you will have no choice but to pay them more once they tear into it.

As far as a WAG, figure no less than $40,000-$70,000. Often everything has to come off including the flybridge.

If you do the work it’s not to bad depending on the total area. If a heard does it. Break out the big bucks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    It's good that you are educating yourself about the boats before buying. As far as repairing soft decks, the big thing i can think of is to NOT trust anyone who gives you an estimate or a quote. The sellers and their brokers may get a buddy to give you a low-ball estimate so that you buy the boat. Even after you buy it, some yards will give you a low-ball estimate knowing you will have no choice but to pay them more once they tear into it.

As far as a WAG, figure no less than $40,000-$70,000. Often everything has to come off including the flybridge.
    I may quit my job and become a glasser.....
    Currently boatless, but looking. Avatar is my first boat. Holland, 1966-ish.

Stabilizers are a great item on a boat as tall as a 53 MY. It is an option you will enjoy!!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I have a 53 im going to put up for sale as soon as I can figure out how to list it on this site. Its on craigs list in fort Lauderdale now but I will have it here in a few