Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 53 hatteras

Re: 53 hatteras

“Caribbean cruising”. Stabilizers are a must or you will never go past Georgetown, Exuma.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by mderlick View Post
    The engines are 6CTA s. I plan to use it as a liveaboard, with some carribbean cruising . I have looked at 1 boat, but intend to spend some time investigating others. One thing i have noticed is that most if not all of the older model 53s seem to have saturated aft decks, behind the flybridge, usually under the dinghy . I wonder what it would cost to repair the damage ?.

I will advise when I find "the one".

regards

martin
    It's good that you are educating yourself about the boats before buying. As far as repairing soft decks, the big thing i can think of is to NOT trust anyone who gives you an estimate or a quote. The sellers and their brokers may get a buddy to give you a low-ball estimate so that you buy the boat. Even after you buy it, some yards will give you a low-ball estimate knowing you will have no choice but to pay them more once they tear into it.

As far as a WAG, figure no less than $40,000-$70,000. Often everything has to come off including the flybridge.

If you do the work it’s not to bad depending on the total area. If a heard does it. Break out the big bucks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    It's good that you are educating yourself about the boats before buying. As far as repairing soft decks, the big thing i can think of is to NOT trust anyone who gives you an estimate or a quote. The sellers and their brokers may get a buddy to give you a low-ball estimate so that you buy the boat. Even after you buy it, some yards will give you a low-ball estimate knowing you will have no choice but to pay them more once they tear into it.

As far as a WAG, figure no less than $40,000-$70,000. Often everything has to come off including the flybridge.
    I may quit my job and become a glasser.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Stabilizers are a great item on a boat as tall as a 53 MY. It is an option you will enjoy!!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Due to a pending move to FL, I am going to sell my 1974 53' MY currently located in fresh water and under cover on the upper Chessie. If interested in exploring further, I can start accumulating specifications and descriptions of recent upgrades / maintenance and make them available. I will be back up in the MD area in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Steve (Risctaker)
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by risctaker View Post
    Due to a pending move to FL, I am going to sell my 1974 53' MY currently located in fresh water and under cover on the upper Chessie. If interested in exploring further, I can start accumulating specifications and descriptions of recent upgrades / maintenance and make them available. I will be back up in the MD area in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Steve (Risctaker)
    BTW: Financing up to $100K is available on this boat if you have a VG to Excellent Credit score. If you or anyone else on this forum has any interest in this well maintained / upgraded 53' Hatt MY, please email me at "swanie2017@outlook.com" and NOT via this forum as I do not visit this forum as frequently but am on my personal email all day long. Since I have just now decided to sell this boat, I am in the process of putting together all the details any interested party would like to know and will post when ready. This is for an interested party whose purchase timeline is 30 to 60 days from now - not immediate.
    Last edited by risctaker; 04-24-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    “Caribbean cruising”. Stabilizers are a must or you will never go past Georgetown, Exuma.
    Heck, the crossing from Eluethera to Exuma might send you to an airport. Similar crossing on a 50' HMY was the last trip taken aboard one. Six footers had the sofa changing sides.