Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Updating entire electronics this summer

I am planning on updating my entire electronics and updating the look of my helm this summer when I am laid up for hurricane season in Stuart, Florida. I favor Garmin as it is what I am used to. What are some of the forums Thoughts on Garmin vs Furuno? I am not about features as much as I am about robust construction, reliability, and ease of use. Do any of you have recommendations on a outfit that does nice work and serves Stuart. Thank you for your time.

Re: Updating entire electronics this summer

I replaced all of my electronics about a year and half ago with Garmin. I like the ease of use of the multifunction display and so far it has held up well. The only thing I don't really like is the digital radar. I kept my old Furuno 72 mile radar and am glad I did. It picks up things the Garmin doesn't.
    I have new radar, sonar, new autopilot all new instruments and transducers and gauges. Total cost installed was around $27,000 and this was in California. Scarlett, Seven and DrBurke have been on my boat and used the toys. They can also give you an opinion.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Thank you for your response

Can't speak to Furuno, but I added Garmin when I bought the boat and have been very happy with it's connectivity and features. It is also nice that it is compatible with the older transducers (via an inexpensive breakout box) so that you can update without having to replace the transducers right away. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of a 7610xsv that is mounted in the center of my helm, where the old Wood Freeman autopilot was. To the left, on the chart area is a 19" monitor connected directly to the Garmin. On the flybridge is an iPad that controls the Garmin remotely. Also, my Standard Horizon radio is connected via NMEA for AIS traffic. Later I will add a radar (mainly for night navigation, not fishing). I am also leaning towards adding Sirus weather that will overlay the charts. This month, they are releasing new maps that include navionics map/data. I want them for the enhancements like sat imagery of marinas. Also, check out ActiveCaptain on the web.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Can't speak to Furuno, but I added Garmin when I bought the boat and have been very happy with it's connectivity and features. It is also nice that it is compatible with the older transducers (via an inexpensive breakout box) so that you can update without having to replace the transducers right away. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of a 7610xsv that is mounted in the center of my helm, where the old Wood Freeman autopilot was. To the left, on the chart area is a 19" monitor connected directly to the Garmin. On the flybridge is an iPad that controls the Garmin remotely. Also, my Standard Horizon radio is connected via NMEA for AIS traffic. Later I will add a radar (mainly for night navigation, not fishing). I am also leaning towards adding Sirus weather that will overlay the charts. This month, they are releasing new maps that include navionics map/data. I want them for the enhancements like sat imagery of marinas. Also, check out ActiveCaptain on the web.
    I agree, I want the Sirius weather. DO you like the AIS?

Same with me, new Garmin including HD Radar. Agree with Ron after using his 72 mile Furuna radar, it is better than the Garmin radar but the Garmin is a 48 mile radar so not as powerful. Love the WI Fi ability so you can use an I pad as a second station, I was even messing around and had the radar on my 42 inch TV screen. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Ok let's look at reality for RADAR.

The broadband RADAR is not the same as the old style . It's not fair to compare it. Like a car vs a motorcycle.

The new lower cost broadband is good up close, however it is not for long ranges and makes birds hard to see. In comparison I just installed a 25k on one boat and a 12 on another with 6 foot antennas and they work better than expected. In comparison the little 24 inch broadband does what it is supposed to do.

I design and install all types of systems. Fishing, coastal cruising, bluewater sailing and offshore tournaments all require different setups.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have a fury I navnet 3D system on mine. A few years old but works great, ease of use and during tech support with one issue I had was top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I agree, I want the Sirius weather. DO you like the AIS?
    It's no substitute for radar, but it's useful in spots with a lot of commercial traffic. I got it as part of the VHF radio (receive only) and it only required two wires to connect the radio to the chart plotter using NMEA 0183. It didn't add much to the cost of the radio (~$100), and since it was built into the radio, I didn't have to deal with antenna sharing.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

My boat needs all new electronics as well but I can't decide on raymarine axioms or simrads evos I need to do both stations, the flybridge only needs one mfd but I would like dual mfds at my lower helm. Not a fan of Garmin for some reason. I'm in no hurry so kinda waiting to see how my budget looks come spring.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.