Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Replacing the Saloon Carpet

Amtico teak and holly is fabulous. Takes patience but bulletproof and no maintenance. Have it everywhere except staterooms.
    I found that a finish carpenter type person is the best installer. 10 years so far.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Scott, I had a local marine carpenter do teak and holly Lonseal in my boat- the salon and head. I think it comes about 54" wide, I can't recall but it has worked out very well. It seems quite durable and certainly looks the part.

We have recently put outdoor teak and holly carpet out on our back deck and looks great, works well. We are now measuring to do the same on the flybridge.

I guess we like the carpet look of the lighter coloured Infinity and with young kids, dog etc. we (I) spend a lot of time at ground level, so carpet soft feel is important. We prefer a lighter colour carpet to offset the darker afromosia. Ability to wipe up mess is a must. Old carpet smells. All the old carpet edge tack rails have rusted out. Such a difference between a salt water boat and a fresh water kept boat.

My research has now led me to an Infinity competitor and I have samples coming tomorrow. This product from Belgium can be purchased with or without rubber acoustic backing.

http://www.geoflooring.com.au/wp-content/files_mf/ecatalogue_ntgrate_web70.pdf

Outdoor carpet is from www.marinetuft.com who have distributors in USA. Very good quality.

Also spent time looking at hybrid solid vinyl planks and loose lay flexible vinyl planks. These two products are apparently not affected by heat from engine room.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-07-2019 at 06:31 AM.

I love real hardwood and it has held up very well. Still looks new after all these years.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...nd-Galley-pics
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Forgot to mention that the first area of carpet I replaced was the stairway to the galley. With everybody on board using this the carpet looked awful after only two weeks. Replaced with real solid wood risers.

As built, Fanfare had that new 1964 miracle flooring--linoleum--in the galley, forward cabin, heads and ER hall. In an early makeover, after seeing newer Hatteras yachts, I had all this covered over with a great parquet. My master carpenter, Jerry Leddy, made sure these would not be affected by moisture by sealing five of the six sides of each piece with epoxy. Told me if any ever popped off he would fix them for free. So far he has not had to do anything, even in the heads with all that shower water!

We are sometimes anchored for weeks at a time, generator usually on. That heat, while probably not as intense as the engine rooms, has not caused any movement or swelling in the galley parquet.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 02-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Plasteack/Plasdeck has a new roduct called ECO line that comes in one piece squares, that seem to be much easier to install than the traditional strip by strip. I am considering to replace the old teack in my other boat. Take a lok.Good luck

@DottiesHusband...Teak veneer plywood? Do you know what brand you went with? Yours looks great!! Are they the 4x8 panels? Also what did you go with on the stairs? Again, looks great!
    Michelle Jezycki
    Master Captain
    To the Moon

I used to sell a product - teak and holly marine plywood - which was, and I believe is still available in 4x8 sheets in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" thicknesses. It is unfinished so would need to have the appropriate finish applied. Perhaps multiple coats of a good urethane.

Bob
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

I hate carpet, and not a huge fan of the teak and holly b/c it's pretty slippery when wet. Our last two boats we have installed a pvc beachweave floor covering. It cleans up nicely, very stain resistant, has a pad so it has some sound deadening qualities. It's rated for outdoor use, bowriders and pontoon boats use it all the time. Due to it's outdoor nature spills/water on it are no problem at all.

Don't have any pics of it in our hatteras, but there are a ton of different color options/patterns.

SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

We removed capet and DIY installed nautikflor in salon, pilothouse and both staterooms of a previous
    49' boat. Easy cutting, locks on all 4 sides, impervious to moisture, insects, food spills, reasonable cost.
    Salon took a day (lots of straight walls) and staterooms 2 days each (no straight walls, numerous cabinet
    projections, many floor hatches). Installed 2 years and 4000 cruising miles; would do again. Only
    downside is, does not provide noise barrier that padding and carpet provide. However, the lower moisture
    and dirt trapping makes for a much cleaner boat.2017-12-17 11.00.09.jpg
    Attached Images