Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Replacing the Saloon Carpet

Our saloon carpet has come to the end of its natural life, hastened by dog, messy guests, children, wet feet, dirty shoes. The Admiral and I have decided not to lay carpet again, but to research vinyl sheet, woven vinyl sheets, vinyl planks or hybrid planks. We have looked at the Infinity woven vinyl range which seems perfect but it is soooo expensive here in Australia being US$300 per square yard/metre.

Has anyone tried quality vinyl rolls with underlay? Would the engine room's heat below cause the seams to pull apart? Hybrid planks seem to be temperature stable, but would weigh 800lbs/400 kilos or so for 35 square yards/metres in the saloon.

We would obviously need to put down underlay to resolve imperfections in the saloon floor. (Infinity has the foam bonded to the vinyl.)

Finally to suit our afromosia cabinets and walls, did anyone choose a patterned floor rather than wooden look plank look? Ideas?

Re: Replacing the Saloon Carpet

Hello Scott,

I installed vinyl interlocking planks in my salon about five years ago. I hate it. the seems will not stay locked together. My floor just flexes too much since its all hatches. I will be changing it to a sheet product which will be lighter when I have to move hatches, easier to install and I will use an adhesive to hold it down.

Scott, we have the Infinity on our aft deck, fly ridge and forward cabin. It is stupid expensive even here in the US but it is like nothing else I have seen on the market, we love it and it appears to be almost indestructible and super easy to clean. Unfortunately it is one of those products that you get what you pay for. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

First time I hear about Infinity. Looks great for aft decks and flybridge.

Unless I am mis reading this distributors website, it’s sold by the linear foot, 8,6” wide. Doesn’t seem expensive compared to others. What am I missing?

http://rochfordsupply.com/shop/Marin...saAsRWEALw_wcB
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Infinity is very expensive in Australia at about US$250 per square metre. We have about 45 square metres to cover. I know Infinitiy's qualities, I was after an opinion on hybrid planks and other foam backed woven vynil.

I have use Amtico teak n Holly on two small projects, never again. It is a PITA to install, strip by strip

I have also considered http://www.nautikflor.com. Supposed to be nice and much easier to install
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Even with professional end-of-season carpet cleaning and using top line carpet material it is hard to get much more than about five years out of salon carpet. Just too much wear. So I considered using some form of hard decking. I probably read every recommendation on the forum here. I finally decided that while solid flooring would be durable and easier to clean it would also be harder on my (usually bare) aging feet and possibly slippery when wet.

So I went back to the carpet. Underneath it I used Soundown Acoustic Carpet Underlayment primarily to reduce engine room noise and especially turbocharger whine in the salon. Fanfare was built with natural DDs and has mostly low frequency sound insulation. Now that we have turbos the Soundown helps with this although some sound creeps past the carpeting via the width of each cabin side wall. I decided this was not worth the effort of disassembly considering we mostly run from the fly bridge. The carpet plus underlayment must have some thermal insulation properties as well to help cool the salon with A/C after a run.

Another benefit is that once the salon carpet is cut and laid there is enough left over to do the master and guest cabins and the hall.

We are diligent about land shoe removal and barefoot inspection for beach tar. Even our grandchildren are very good about this once we explain the need.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 02-05-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Scott, we used the teak and holly veneer plywood everywhere except the Solon. We were concerned about noise from the ER. We used a 10 lb density accoustic foam pad as an underlayment to carpet. We've been very happy with it, but each to their own.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-05-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Here are some pictures of faux teak. I believe it is plasteak
    Attached Images

Just getting rid of carpeted steps makes the boat stay much cleaner.