Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Some Chain

Need Some Chain

I'd like to come up with some more chain. I currently have just 50' of 1/2" chain with 320' of 3/4 3-strand nylon.

I haven't anchored much with this boat, but I think I'll probably be doing more of that in the future. And, I'd also like to be able to handle non-hurricane blows on the hook rather than relocating to more distant protected marinas. I know I'll need to add a second anchor for that (just might be coming into an extra 50' of chain).

But in the meantime, I'm looking for the best deal on 200' of the aforementioned 1/2" chain. Maxwell specs ACCO G43. The best delivered price I've found is from Tulsa Chain (https://tulsachain.com/marine-chain/...test-chain-iso). Then there's the matter how I'd actually get that #507 down 900' of dock.

IMG_0025.jpg
    I had a little time to kill waiting for the paint in my anchor locker to dry, so I thought I'd buff up the ole Ultra 77. Something that shiny deserves some new chain.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 02-04-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Need Some Chain

Their prices look good.

You re probably going to have to give $50 tomthe truck driver to use is cart and bring it to the boat. I just got 200’ of 3/8 BBB two days ago and got it down the dock with a hand truck. Not fun
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Robert, you don’t want to mess up that shiny anchor dropping it in the sand.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Robert, you don’t want to mess up that shiny anchor dropping it in the sand.
    It's just for show, Rusty. I gave up the idea of using it after I lost the key to the padlock.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Their prices look good.

You re probably going to have to give $50 tomthe truck driver to use is cart and bring it to the boat. I just got 200’ of 3/8 BBB two days ago and got it down the dock with a hand truck. Not fun
    I thought the price was good. Probably have it delivered to my warehouse upstate where I have forklifts and then truck it down myself. I can get closer and shave some distance off the dock length that way. First, I'm gonna check locally and see if I can do better on price and freight by picking it up. Maybe I could dump it in my tender and trailer it down. I do need to get some chain for it too.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I pulled mine down the dock 50 feet at a time. Once it was laid out I painted it every 25 feet.
    red-white-blue-red red-white white- blue blue-red red red-white white white....you get the picture.
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Quote Originally Posted by Mambeaux View Post
    I pulled mine down the dock 50 feet at a time. Once it was laid out I painted it every 25 feet.
    red-white-blue-red red-white white- blue blue-red red red-white white white....you get the picture.
    Thanks, Jack. I hope you're well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you have a local wire rope shop you can probably get alot cheaper. We got ours from this place for half of what the marine places wanted

https://www.pacificgulfwirerope.com

I dont think they have any locations except in Louisiana but there should be something similar on your coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    If you have a local wire rope shop you can probably get alot cheaper. We got ours from this place for half of what the marine places wanted

https://www.pacificgulfwirerope.com

I dont think they have any locations except in Louisiana but there should be something similar on your coast.
    We have Charleston Rigging. Plan to stop by.

I looked at the website you posted. The only G30/43 I saw was long link, which is out of spec for what I need. Maybe they have short link on their web site.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC