Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Chain Locker Rehab

I did mine in gloss white to match all my bilges.
    It really brightens up the compartment making it easier to see. My windlass is 110V and there is an (original?) light fixture in the chain locker that matches the ones in the ER so I can really what I'm doing when I have to deal with the inevitable pathetically snarled chain fiasco that sooner or later we all have to deal with.
    Plus, the chain locker on my 60C is big enough to make neat echos of the swearing involved.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    I did mine in gloss white to match all my bilges.It really brightens up the compartment making it easier to see. My windlass is 110V and there is an (original?) light fixture in the chain locker that matches the ones in the ER so I can really what I'm doing when I have to deal with the inevitable pathetically snarled chain fiasco that sooner or later we all have to deal with.Plus, the chain locker on my 60C is big enough to make neat echos of the swearing involved.
    Funny. For me, it’s kinda like repainting a car. Lots easier if you don’t change colors. Was thinking of putting in overhead LED strip light. It’s a big space on a 55 as well. Might commission a mural.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

kinda like repainting a car. Lots easier if you don’t change colors
    Maybe it was just the PO, or maybe the boat was ordered that way, but all my bilges/ER/lazarette/chain locker were already white.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Beautiful work as usual, Robert.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Robert,

Beautiful work as usual!

I have 2 questions: When you said resin, did you use polyester resin and grey pigment? How does the Schedule 40 PVC angled pipe hold up to that barrage of chain ripping through it?

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Robert,

Beautiful work as usual!

I have 2 questions: When you said resin, did you use polyester resin and grey pigment? How does the Schedule 40 PVC angled pipe hold up to that barrage of chain ripping through it?

Jon
    Jon, thank you.

I accidentally discovered, while using fiberglass resin in the lazarette, that I could top coat with Rustoleum Top Sides while the resin was still just slightly tacky. It seems to hold up well in that environment and keep its gloss. I don't use Top Sides for topsides or anything other than bilge type areas. I do use two part paint in the ER walkways for enhanced durability, though. I wasn't trying to save money at the time, it's just what I had on-hand for a closed off compartment.

Since I was evening-out some gouges in the locker, I went ahead and rolled the adjacent area with resin and applied the paint per above.

The PVC has held up just fine. Last two POs anchored a good bit. I didn't discover any PVC chips in the locker when I emptied it out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC