Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chain Locker Rehab

Got around to putting the ground tackle on the dock and doing a chain locker tune-up. Turned out nice I think.

IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0042.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Chain Locker Rehab

Looks great. New paint?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Looks great. New paint?
    Battleship gray gloss.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Mr Clarkson did you follow the same method that you use in the engine space using resin? I'm also wondering why you used grey and not white. Looks very good in any case.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Mr Clarkson did you follow the same method that you use in the engine space using resin? I'm also wondering why you used grey and not white. Looks very good in any case.Walt Hoover
    Mr. Hoover, I went with what matched the original color. Locker was mostly in great shape, so one coat mostly did the job. I don’t think a color change was in order—just too hard to physically get in and out of the space.

I did use resin on or around the floor to address gouges and cracked OEM finish. I still like results from past use. Mostly, though, this was a freshen it up job.

I also added a 1-1/2" high divider at the rear of the locker on the chain side. This was to create a hard stop for the chain and create a space where I will store my hurricane lines and chain. The chain locker on Aslan is huge, and It stays dry as opposed to the lazarette.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 02-03-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I will be using your technique in my starboard engine space this spring when this polar vortex gets out of town. I hope my results look half as good as it does on Aslan.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I will be using your technique in my starboard engine space this spring when this polar vortex gets out of town. I hope my results look half as good as it does on Aslan. Walt Hoover
    Thanks. And I’d like to apologize for not soliciting your input on color in light of your past interest in acquiring Aslan. On another note, I'm glad I waited until now to undertake this project. The grey blends nicely with my hair color.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 02-04-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Mr. Clarkson,

Just two words, Shower Cap. I'm sure if and when the time comes it will overcoat with Topsides white with just a light scuff. My hair is mostly white.

Walt Hoover

Use a 3’ long handle with a weenie roller.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Use a 3’ long handle with a weenie roller.
    And be really, really careful of your overhead on the back stroke.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC