Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: People capacity. ?

Just be careful about loading the bridge.... A few years ago there was an accident that made lots of
    news about a boat load of folks who went out for a July 4th fireworks show and everyone wanted to
    be on the bridge....well the boat capsized and if I remember correctly there was loss of life. The boat
    was not a Hatteras. If I recall it was either a Silverton or a Mainship but I still wouldn't load the bridge
    regardless of who built the boat.

Walt

A 55c will handle more weight on the bridge than a motoryacht. First of all the height and cog are lower with the bigger engines and lower cabins plus the lack of the high aft cabin weight but 12 to 15 people will start to make a difference. Maybe not as easily felt as expected but certainly a difference.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    A 55c will handle more weight on the bridge than a motoryacht. First of all the height and cog are lower with the bigger engines and lower cabins plus the lack of the high aft cabin weight but 12 to 15 people will start to make a difference. Maybe not as easily felt as expected but certainly a difference.
    And a wider beam than MY of similar length and full tanks. I considered the conditions and the numbers.

Here is one piece of the puzzle.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 2.17.26 PM.jpg
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 02-03-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Exclamation People capacity. ?

You folks sure do know a lot more people and have more friends than I do!
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Wow... that's about 8,000 lbs (55 x 150 average). That would probably actually help as ballast down
    low in the ER but spread over the boat ...........

Years ago I ferried about 30 people plus about a half a dozen cases of beer from Rariten Bay, NJ to
    lower Manhattan a distance of about 25 miles or so on one of my 43 DC's. In retrospect I was nuts to do
    it because often it gets snotty under the Verazano bridge but we made it OK without incident except that
    all the beer was gone and all we had left were a few large trash bags of empty cans. Boat weight was
    the same even with the empty cans but the contents were still on board, just distributed differently.
    My most recent boat was a 1982 Series I 48' MY and I figured that it would be much more stable since
    it was a larger boat but even with only about 20 people it seemed very unstable so I stopped taking
    out large parties. Although according to formulas, those numbers should work I believe that it constitutes
    overloading especially if too many folks decide to run over to one side or the other to see something.

Walt
    I believe the average American is closer to 200 lbs than 150, IIRC the FAA changed from 170 to 200 for weight and balance calculations a few years back. Anyway, that would make the load 11,000 lbs.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Average in the women. If it's still 200 lbs per person get new women.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Exclamation People capacity. ?

No way that women are configured into those averages... IMO.
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    You folks sure do know a lot more people and have more friends than I do!
    Owning a Hatteras usually comes with friends you never knew you had.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    No way that women are configured into those averages... IMO.
    Almost all the women I know weigh between 200-300#

This was taken a few months ago. That's Lauren Sisler from ESPN filming a piece on the Vol Navy. I think I counted about 16 or 17 in the pic, and there are 4 or 5 on the other side of the camera. The bow seats 10, the salon seats 15, a few on the aft deck...Lots of room below for folks. But it was way too crowded for comfort.
    The beam on my boat is 18'2"
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-04-2019 at 01:51 PM.