Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

People capacity. ?

How many adults can / should be on. a 53 m/y for a slow cocktail cruise on a protected river ? Edward

Re: People capacity. ?

As few as posiible.

That is if you want to enjoy it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I’ve had parties on the dock with 25 aboard. No issue with space but that’s sitting still. Not sure what the safety factor is but make sure you have a life jacket for each.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I ve had up to about 40. Some 53s have certified by USCG for up to 49
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We've had 55 aboard a 63 MY. We were not underway and were tied to a dock. Swim platform was about 2 inches above the water. I wouldn't recommend it, and we now have a 25 person rule.

Personal I wouldn’t want more the 6 but prefer 4. I like small intimate cocktail parties at anchor. The smaller the group allows better conversion. If I want to get plastered I’d stay at the dock and have a free for all
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Goes back to the old rule, entertain 6, feed 4 and sleeps 2.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    We've had 55 aboard a 63 MY. We were not underway and were tied to a dock. Swim platform was about 2 inches above the water. I wouldn't recommend it, and we now have a 25 person rule.

Wow... that's about 8,000 lbs (55 x 150 average). That would probably actually help as ballast down
    low in the ER but spread over the boat ...........

Years ago I ferried about 30 people plus about a half a dozen cases of beer from Rariten Bay, NJ to
    lower Manhattan a distance of about 25 miles or so on one of my 43 DC's. In retrospect I was nuts to do
    it because often it gets snotty under the Verazano bridge but we made it OK without incident except that
    all the beer was gone and all we had left were a few large trash bags of empty cans. Boat weight was
    the same even with the empty cans but the contents were still on board, just distributed differently.
    My most recent boat was a 1982 Series I 48' MY and I figured that it would be much more stable since
    it was a larger boat but even with only about 20 people it seemed very unstable so I stopped taking
    out large parties. Although according to formulas, those numbers should work I believe that it constitutes
    overloading especially if too many folks decide to run over to one side or the other to see something.

Walt

Ok with a lot of people underway just keep the hem off the fly bridge all at once. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Ok with a lot of people underway just keep the hem off the fly bridge all at once. John
    My flybridge seats 12. Had 15 up there at once for a 4th of July harbor tour and fireworks cruise. Water was just choppy. I expected some handling issues, but was pleasantly surprised.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC