Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davit

Davit

Installed a Nick Jackson transom lift this winter. Question is throw the old pipe lift ,works great, away
    and cap pipe or save it. i think our 1986 43MY would look better without it.Appreciate any comments.

Werner Schoenknecht MIRAGE

Re: Davit

I don't think the pipe lifts look very nice up there, but my real question is why you went from the upper lift to a transom lift? I'm trying to decide between the same choices on a 43DC except I would use a low profile lift on the hard top. I've been leaning in the other direction than you went.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Robert,

My 43' DC has a flybridge so that rules out putting a tender up there. Besides, even if I did not have a flybridge, I would opt for the transom mounted davits. Currently I do not have davits or a dinghy but those will be installed.

My reasoning is that on all my previous boats, they had transom mounted davits that made pulling up and putting down the dinghies very simple. We used our dinghies more often and it was easier for me to just hoist it up and away for the night. I also like keeping as much weight lower on my boat as I can (even if I do have and enjoy using my flybridge).

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

We had an '85 43MY with a transom davit. It was a PITA until I installed a radio controller for the davit. The prior owner installed the connector for the hand held on the transom and it was under the dink when it was up. Geeze.
    Anyway, we used it to haul an Avon 340 and later a 13' AB with a 40 HP Etec. If you go that far you really should beef up the transom on the inside.
    Regards
    Dan

Dan,

Where did you mount your davit bases? What davit system did you use?

Radio controller?

Thanks!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Thanks for your input. First of all I agree that the pipe one looks ugly. The reason I switched
    to the trans mount is that with the current system there always seems to be a piling next to the boat making dropping
    dinghy to port side impossible. Most of all I am 88 going on 89 and I just do not want to crawl up
    there any more. What is the control conversion using a fob?
    Thanks
    Werner Schoenknecht MIRAGE

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Dan,

Where did you mount your davit bases? What davit system did you use?

Radio controller?

Thanks!

Jon
    Jon ours was there when we bought the boat. I used a winch controller for a quad runner. It came with a couple of fobs, a receiver, antenna and connecting wires. I installed it in parallel with the wired controller. As you can see the blocks were about a foot or so above the swim platform. The good thing about the controller I used was that it had an on/off switch as well as up/down on the receiver so it could be operated if all of the fobs were out of service.

PA140495r.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 02-22-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

Dan could you share with us what remote control you bought? I have not seen our installation
    the boat is in Mackinaw City Michigan and we are suffering in Florida.
    Thanks
    Werner Schoenknecht - Mirage

Werner I have searched all over to locate that controller and I guess they no longer make it. It's kind of tough because when we sold Freedom all of our documentation went with the boat. I installed that controller what must have been 10-15 years ago. From what I have seen the packaging of the electronics has shrunk considerably.

There are plenty of radio winch controllers out there now, and I am pretty sure many could be installed in parallel with a hand held wired controller. The only trick is to make sure the controller is switched on/off if the winch is always powered via direct connections to the battery. A simple toggle switch on the controller 12v dc line, conveniently located could remedy that issue.
    Regards
    Dan

Thanks Dan.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia