Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starter issue

Starter issue

I have a 1972 38' double cabin with twin Detroit 8v 53's. Just replaced starboard battery due to staring issues. Engine still won't turn without using parallel selector. After running a while, the starter engages without parallel selector. Any suggestions as to the problem?

Re: Starter issue

Start with the basics: check all connections for corrosion incl the battery switch and negative connection to engine. If that doesn’t solve it, starter could be getting tired
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Probably bad cables and or starter. If the cables are original dont even try to fix them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

you have been given good advise from some members with regard to battery cables, connection and weak starter. 8v53 engines have a 21:1 compression ratio and need 100 percent of a 12 volt system to start particularly with 12 volt as opposed to 24vdc. just be sure that you are not getting water back into the engine from a failed water jacketed exhaust riser causing a hydraulic lock. if thats the case, further damage will occur. if you need risers, i have a pair real reasonable.

Same issue on my engines late last year. Only solenoid clicked when starter button pressed.

Removed all battery connections from starter, the block grounds and solenoids. Cleaned c onnections with Emerry paper and WD40'd down ends of cables. Now both motors offer easy starts from cold.

++++

Question.... what causes verdigris to occur on some battery posts and battery connections, while others beside remain clean? Does Vaseline jelly successfully stop corrosion on battery terminals and posts? Or is there a special product for this?
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-18-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.