Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Kayak of Pedalboard

Does anyone have experience with the Hobie Pedalboard and the Hobie Kayak that use the Mirage Drive System. I’ve used the Kyaks a few time and was really impressed, especially for guests that may be less experienced.

Plan on mounting a pair on top of a 75’ MY and launching with David.

Trying to decide which way to go, things I’m considering
    - which would be easier to launch
    - which is more user friendly
    - which is more resistant to damage (beaching / grounding)

I’m leaning towards the Pedalboard, seems like it would be more “fun” having a bit of elevation and being able to look down into the water. Also seems like they may stow a bit easier.

Thoughts???

Any advice on how to mount?

Re: Kayak of Pedalboard

The hobie pedal system is awesome but dont run it aground. It will tear the fins up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We have two Eclipses on the lazzara 84 i run. They are a lot of fun and everybody loves them. The mirage drive is brilliant and tough even in shallow water. The plastic fins slide on a SS rod, so far no issues and they get beached on sandbars and beaches quite a bit, run in shallow bahamas creeks quite a bit too

The handle bar hardware is not as sturdy as the drive and neither is the rudder cartridge held by screw driven in plastic. Altogether the gelcoat is a bit fragile and they get banged up easily. I saw that Hobie has come up with a "commercial" version thats supposed to be tougher. Ours are a little over two years old.

We have the 12' versions, i woudlnt recommend the shorter ones. Less buoyancy.

We keep them stored up top, in the Hobie bags. The bags only lasted two years before they got burned up by UV , but they re only $160 a piece. I tried launching them with the davit but it takes too long. We now drop and retrieve them manually in their bags with a line clipped to the board handle. The bags protect the boards and the boat gelcoat when they rub.

We also have one kayak, no doubt it s tougher, can be beached or banged up without worries. MAybe a little easier in a chop as the Eclipse requires some balance.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As to guests.....the kayak has a higher weight capacity and is more stable. It is also great for fishing.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

Hi Pascal,

Is that a two piece "blow up floating dock" behind your boat?

Is there a website fpr the manufacturer?

Cheers,

Scott.

No it s a single piece, 26x5. Mission gear is the website. It was about $1200. Pretty good quality so far and not as pricey as the “Yacht” stuff
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat