Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Recommendations for 2 weeks in Exumas

You're not going to believe this.
    I just got off the phone with the owner of MyIslandWifi. I went to their website and filled out a brief "Contact Us" inquiry. Within 5 minutes Leo calls and gives me the full scoop. Not only does his unit pull signals from up to 60 miles, it can do voice as well as streaming data. No need for external antenna.

He is based out of Miami and will overnight a unit anywhere in north America. Signing up for a month is easy peasy on line. He confirmed 2 area with slow or no signal, the National Parks and Georgetown. His engineers are working to fix Gtown but the parks may stay dark for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by Passages; 02-02-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    The WiFi hotspot looks like a good deal: $75 a month with a one-time $50 device purchase. Pascal, is the unit battery only? If so, is battery life an issue?
    The unit is rechargeable and comes with a 120vac and 12vdc cords.

He hand delivered henunit to me, and others, here in Miami.

We spent about a week in Gtown and it was working fine. He said it s a little slower there but I haven’t noticed a difference As to Exuma Park it sits in a gap between the highborne and Staniel towers. From experience I have noticed that the Highborne tower doesn’t cover as far as it should. Sometimes signal drops even as close as Norman’s just 5 miles away.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We stayed at Hurricane Hole last February and Atlantis had literature about their planned improvements to the Hurricane Hole Marina, which sold to Sterling Development Group. My personal toes in the sand at the Atlantis beach did not detect any unpleasantness.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-02-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    He hand delivered henunit to me, and others, here in Miami.

We spent about a week in Gtown and it was working fine. He said it s a little slower there but I haven’t noticed a difference As to Exuma Park it sits in a gap between the highborne and Staniel towers. From experience I have noticed that the Highborne tower doesn’t cover as far as it should. Sometimes signal drops even as close as Norman’s just 5 miles away.
    I agree, at Shroud we got a data only connection just a few times a day. We presently use a BTC sim iPhone turned into a hotspot for the boat, does the myislandwifi have a better range than a iPhone? I like the idea of avoiding the hassle obtaining a new sim each trip.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    We stayed at Hurricane Hole last February and Atlantis had literature about their planned improvements to the Hurricane Hole Marina, which sold to Sterling Development Group. My personal toes in the sand at the Atlantis beach did not detect any unpleasantness.
    No work done yet. We were there a few months ago (everything else was full)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    I agree, at Shroud we got a data only connection just a few times a day. We presently use a BTC sim iPhone turned into a hotspot for the boat, does the myislandwifi have a better range than a iPhone? I like the idea of avoiding the hassle obtaining a new sim each trip.
    Yes range is much better. Their hotspot uses a different set of frequencies which allow for better range

At this time you can’t deactivate the Sim and deactivate it a few months later. They said they will offer the capability in the near future. But they will mail you a new Sim before traveling.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    I have seen a few boats anchored near stella maris on Long Island that looked lovely. It was a few years ago, and was just in a friends single engine plane an the way to crooked. customs was easy at the airport.
    Pascal/Dan - Is it worth the trip over? cell and internet were fine. He and his wife like staying at the resort. Marina under construction in crooked, but don't think it is ready. That is off the grid, but decent little airstrip. fishing is phenomenal.
    We flew in and stayed at Stella Maris.. I am glad we did because I originally planned to bring the boat and use the marina there. Don't do it. Nothing around for miles. Maybe Gtown would be ok but as I recall the marinas were exposed.

The resort itself was worn (BTW not associated with the marina) and side roads leading to it were horrible.

But we had fun. Rented a car and drove the whole island. Dropped in at Clarence Town and the marina there is top notch. However, if it blows you will know it. Captains there said they had to go ashore.

The flight was uneventful and we took advantage of Bahamian sponsored flight discounts.
    Regards
    Dan

One more internet question for Pascal: Do you know if there’s a combination of myislandwifi and vpn that allows uninterrupted streaming of services such as Pandora-Netflix-Amazon Prime out in the islands?
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

I’ve heard some people use VPN to stream restricted content with some success but I ve never bothered. The few things I Stream from amazon worked
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat