Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Recommendations for 2 weeks in Exumas

I ve only flown to Stella Maris and Crooked’s Pitstown, and that was in the 80s... never went by boat. I ve looked into LI which isn’t far from Gtown but not sure it s worth the detour considering all the Exumas have to offer
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the helpful replies.

It's apparent that my planning priority is not ports of call but ensuring reliable wifi & cell service. That will determine how long we can remain in Bahamas.

Now I need to educate myself on wifi/cell antenna's, repeaters, sim cards and how to tie it all to our T-Mobile service.

The WiFi hotspot looks like a good deal: $75 a month with a one-time $50 device purchase. Pascal, is the unit battery only? If so, is battery life an issue?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

hughesnet satellite internet may be a backup option for email.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

MIW is now $75 a month unlimited, no fine print, no throttling back. The hot spot has a built in battery and can be charged or plugged in with a standard usb charger

As mentioned earlier cell coverage is very good in Exuma with the only dead spot being in Exuma Park. But from Compass on south it s 100% all the way to Gtown. The MIW hot spot can be set up high in the boat, like in the flybridge where you ll have better range

We installed a Shakespeare Super Halo booster a couple of months ago and this has almost doubled the range we get. On the way back from Gtown I kept signal all the way till Warderick Wells

We don’t use T-Mobile but I ve seen people complaining that roaming speeds are terrible in the Bahamas.

This last trip with the MIW was the first time I never heard the words “is the internet working”?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

T-Mobile not good in Bahamas?

Well maybe Skype would be a good work around. As long as we can participate in Webex conferencing we could work from the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    hughesnet satellite internet may be a backup option for email.
    I spoke to the folks at Global Satellite here in Ft Lauderdale and they advised against sat comm for my application. Too slow & costly. They suggested I go back to T Mobile to add Bahamas usage to my account.

Sat comm is best reserved to true ocean crossings.

Sat is indeed way to expensive. Last time I checked it was still about $6 to $8 per meg. Yes, per meg not gig

T-Mobile isn’t the solution if internet is critical. again MyIslandWifi is the way to go especially at now $75 a month. It s a no brainer.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If T-Mobile is no good on the islands, would another carrier be better? I could always buy a throw away phone just for Bahamas.

Also, with MyIslandWiFi, would I also need some type of wifi antenna to pick up signals while anchored out?
    Last edited by Passages; 02-02-2019 at 11:39 AM.

I have used BTC for years until MIW. BTC data is $30 for $15 GB, prepaid. You can put the SIM card either in one or their phones, any unlocked phone, in a tablet or in any unlocked cell modem.

It works fine although the cheaper the phone the slower the hot spot will be. I tried it in a couple of phones and it wasn’t as fast as a quality cellular modem. The other issue with BTC prepaid is that every 15 GB, you need to refill the sim online, put it in an unlocked phone and dial a code to activate a new 15GB plan. It get s old very quickly especially if you use a lot of data and this needs to be done every couple of days. It s even worst if you are in the middle of something...

No need for an external antenna with MIW. The name is a little misleading as it uses Cellular signal not WiFi.

For voice, you can use WiFi calling on your phone. I ve never tried it but supposedly it works very well
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat