Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hull Zinc issues

Just got diver report. Starboard hull Zinc is still like new (not good) so it is bad connection. Problem is the watermaker is installed on a new shelf that covers the whole area. Will have to move the water maker and the shelf it is bolted to for access.

Port side hull Zinc is down to 10%! It was about 50% 30-60 days ago. The bolts on the inside of the hull are accessible, but diver is afraid to take the bolts out while she is in the water.

Wasn't planning on a haul out for another 3-6 months for bottom job and various minor issues, might have to revisit.

Some Questions:

Does anyone else change these Hull Zincs while in the water? Seems like water intrusion would be minimal but again, diver is worried.

Should I put a temporary zinc in place until we get this sorted out, any suggestions on best approach?

Would Galvanic Isolator (that I saw while researching on this forum) help? DEI Marine 50/60A Galvanic Isolator FSP

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Hull Zinc issues

On a previously owned boat my hull zincs had the nut outside and could be done in water without any dilemmas. How is the shaft and rudder zincs? I would rig a temp zinc if they are marginal as well.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

All the hull zincs I see during surveys are as mad hatter stated with studs with nuts on them, should be easy to do in the water, any competent diver should know how to do it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    On a previously owned boat my hull zincs had the nut outside and could be done in water without any dilemmas. How is the shaft and rudder zincs? I would rig a temp zinc if they are marginal as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    All the hull zincs I see during surveys are as mad hatter stated with studs with nuts on them, should be easy to do in the water, any competent diver should know how to do it. John
    Thank you, much appreciated. The shaft and rudders seem to be degrading normally. The diver freaked out because the entire nut and bolt turned from the outside, he said he has never encountered that before. SO, the bolt on the inside would have to have a wrench on it and he is afraid the bolt will come out if I am understanding him correctly. This seems like no big deal to me unless he drops it, even then I could plug the hole from the inside. Maybe he is overthinking it, and maybe he hasn't done a classic Hatt before.

Any other observations on the Galvanic Isolator and if that really helps? DEI Marine 50/60A Galvanic Isolator

If I can't get this resolved before we haul out I'll look into the temporary zincs.
    Thanks again!
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Do a search here for isolator threads, I think there's a few.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Smile Re: Hull Zinc issues

Get a Zinc fish with cable over the back to inside and clamp inline with other zinc it will get you by for a few months.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    Get a Zinc fish with cable over the back to inside and clamp inline with other zinc it will get you by for a few months.
    Bob
    Thanks BOATER BOB - hadn't thought of that, I like that idea. Will look into that as an interim. Much appreciated...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Do a search here for isolator threads, I think there's a few.
    Thanks MadHatter53, I did some searches and learned more about the basics. Some of the threads were a little dated but great info. In particular I was wondering if anyone had recent experience with this particular galvanic isolator?

https://www.deimarine.com/products/5...lator-fsp.html

0/60A Galvanic Isolator FSP
    All DEI Galvanic Isolators (GI) are fail-safe, solid-state DC isolation/ AC coupling devices with ratings and characteristics that significantly exceed those of all known galvanic isolators designed for marine applications. The proven fail-safe construction assures that the galvanic isolator never compromises the integrity of the grounding conductor, even in the unlikely case of the product failing. The 50/60A Galvanic Isolator is appropriately rated for all 50A shore power services, as well as dual 30A shore power services, and has been fully tested to meet the latest revisions to ABYC A-28, the standard governing galvanic isolators in the US marine industry. The DEI 50/60A Galvanic Isolator comes in both Fail-Safe Plus® and Fail-Safe MAX® versions, giving the customer increased options for safety.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Thanks for the information..