Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Angry Kuuma water heater problems

This is my second Kuuma water heater problem in 2 years I installed the first in 2014 brand new from Defender and 12 months later the tank ruptured as in the tank split at a weld seam.Talked to Kuuma and they said there was a manufacturing defect and sent a new one.My boat has only a 12v pump with no connection to dock water so it happened at 50 psi.My new problem is a leak between the inter and outer walls of the heat exchanger as the heat exchanger pipe is a thick outerwall pipe and a thinner pipe inserted inside that that the coolant runs through so the engine coolant inter pipe is leaking in side of outer pipe and it drips in the case of water heater.Called Kuuma and they said just bypass the heat exchanger and leak will stop I said no joke but I want the engine to heat my HWH because it provides more hot water faster than the element.Anyway they are not going to replace it and I hope anyone that has a Kuuma water heater is not having a problem, but I would not advise anyone to buy one as Ive had bad luck with them.
    Bob

Re: Kuuma water heater problems

Thanks for the info. I have been searching the defender website for a water heater. I won't be buying Kuuma

Put defender on it. They sold it to you. Let them make it good.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Webasto makes a series of water heaters called isotherm spa that is new to the market I am planning to install. , looks like the best on the market.

The heaters can vary in price based on the materials Is it worth buying the glass lined or stainless steel tank over the aluminum models

I agree with Scott. You might also point out to Defender that you post on this site; as far as you're concerned Kuuma is toast, but Defender gets business from favorable remarks about them on this site. Including, I hope, their willingness to take this water heater back and sell you something else that lasts a great deal longer.

I have a Seaward I got from them- one of the cheaper ones on the market. It must be twenty years old now.

If you are having so much problems with your water heater why don't you replace it and ask water heater installation expert to install another high quality water heater.