Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine room space

Sold my 41 and looking at a couple of 42's and possibly a 45. The 42's have Cummings 6cta 8.3 450hp and the 45 has 6v92's 550hp. Is there ample engine room space to get around and do maintenance in the 42. Haven't been to look yet. Would cruise be about the same for both boats around 20? Thanks for any input.

Re: Engine room space

42 with 450c is not hard to work on. Runs low 20's cruise. The 42 is a heavy boat and at about 26 its keel planes.

The series 2 45 had the 550 hp 6v92's. it runs a little faster than the 42 if memory serves.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The original 41c with the 8.3 cummins runs faster than the 42. Can't speak for the 42 space, but it's possible to get outboard of the engines in the 41 with floor down (but I'm not too old, not fat, and short). Floor comes up for major maintenance.

Last edited by krush; 01-29-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The original 41c with the 8.3 cummins runs faster than the 42. Can't speak for the 42 space, but it's possible to get outboard of the engines in the 41 with floor down (but I'm not too old, not fat, and short). Floor comes up for major maintenance.

Looks familiar!
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Thanks for input. Nice pic.

Mine is 42C with the Cummins 8.2's. Room to get aft of engines to outside and then good access for servicing. Main item on outboard is port engine raw water pump and starboard oil and water filters.
    Risers are important. I would not be too keen on a Cummins using the supplied wet elbows, can't get enough down angle on them, at least I couldn't.
    I was 26kts at 2600 but dropped some pitch and now 23kts but engines have easy life.