Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Flushing my inter-coolers

As a part of my deep cleaning and maintenance of my 64 Hatteras, I developed a flushing system.

20190119_115209[1].jpg
    Before

20190119_124131[1].jpg
    After

See the video https://youtu.be/L9Sc5HLp8Ko
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Re: Flushing my inter-coolers

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by doing a search on this forum. You'd come up with this, for example:

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...eat-Exchangers

Just one of a number of resources available on the forum.

I think you ought to look into the use of muriatic acid in a recerc. system. Besides the obvious concerns with fumes, muriatic is best used as a dipping solution. It can do the job, per Detroit manuals, in a matter of seconds. How long did you have that stuff in your coolers? There are much more user friendly solutions to use. User friendly meaning friendly to both you and your engines. BTW, your submersible pump is gonna have a short life with muriatic.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I spent a total of 15 mins including the construction of the PVC. I flushed for 5 Mins with Muratic then 5 more with fresh water. I also got to inspect my raw water pump and replace hoses I was going to replace any way. After reviewing the attached post, with the exception of the chemical, it is the same process. The flow from a 500 GPH pump seems a little weak to me for such a large cooling system. Anyway there is more than one way to skin a cat, and I showed a way I have used for decades with success. and recommended by Detroit Diesel and some of their best techs. Appreciate the input.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Thanks for posting the video. It helps other to understand the process. However, next time hold the phone SIDEWAYS!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Thanks for posting the video. It helps other to understand the process. However, next time hold the phone SIDEWAYS!
    Will do, I usually use my gopro, but did not have it with me. thanks for watching. Also there are many types of "flushing fluids" you can use. Barnacle Buster may be the safest (food based acid like Diet Coke), but takes a bit longer. no matter what, flush with fresh water after...
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina