Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: I'm considering DIY overhauling both 8v71Ti's in our 58' YF!!

Hi Mario,
    I did an in frame on my Chris Craft with 8v71ti's back in 1999. The most important thing to consider is access to the connecting rods under the engine. Also, it is VERY important to have a Detroit Diesel Engine Book to give you all the torque settings. The book will also give you detailed instructions and what parts to take off and in what order for an in frame. On my engine, the oil pan could not be removed. I just removed it and left in under the engine. Back then, I had the physical ability to work in contorted positions and the strenght to torque down those large bolts. I couldn't do it today. I bought only factory Detroit Diesel parts and didn't have any problems. I had a Detroit Dealer build the pistons with rings and install them in the liners and ordered Relaibuilt heads. All I did was take off the old parts and installed the new ones. I remember I had trouble removing one of the liners. It was cracked in half around intake ports. I rented a tool that looked like a dent puller and got it out. Once it was all together, I had the same Detroit Mechanic install the injectors and fire it up. I think I have about 800 plus hours on it now and it still has 55 PSI Oil pressure and starts on a half rotation with NO SMOKE bone cold.
    Best of luck to you,
    John

I have a 1978 53MY with 8v71Ti's and completed an in-frame last year with the help of an experienced DD mechanic. Or should I say, I helped mechanic which I was completely fine with. I need the experience. All in I was around $15k, but I was able to get the kit and some other parts at cost (blowers and turbos were fine). We lifted the engine using aluminum I-beams spanning the width of the salon and two chain falls. We lifted once we removed everything we could in order to reduce weight.
    The trick was access under the block once lifted. Fortunately the mechanic had a small framed son that was limber enough to slide under the block to perform some work.(don't worry we had the engine sitting on secured to blocks!)
    Overall it was a great experience, however I hope I never have to do it again. Good luck!
    Jeff

That seems like a fabulous p4ice for two motors.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

A great place for DD parts is Interstate McBee, highly recommended by many DD mechs. I had both my V12's done with their parts and the mechanic really was impressed with the apparent quality.

When it comes to the Marine industry it blows my mind the rates that vendors charge to a customer. Which of course so to diesel truck shops. these older diesel engines are a breeze to rebuild, get a service manual, youtube and determination and you will be fine. I have been quoted engine swap and rebuild numbers before and the vendor doesn't know we have a fleet of trucks and equipment which we do all our own work. Yes tearing down a motor in a shop is way better and cleaner, but I have done it in the middle of a job site. These older engines don't have ecm and sensors that cause troubles. So you would be capable of attempting the rebuild yourself. I would recommend getting parts from non marine dealers, prices would be way better. That what we have done. Many special tools can be made or found on ebay. The newer engines are the same , we just swapped an engine out of a 2009 Mack, the labor was about 3-4 days lots of specific part swapping, but it took 2 days of computer work to get all of sensors to be happy. We have a laptop and software that ran us about 8k. Something to also consider if your wanting to swap are the reman cummins options. Again gather your info then shop around away from the water. Do the math and shop around when you are doing this project. Marine vendors sometimes put the screws to an owner because they have money. That concept frustrates me because it eats up you boat budget and takes away from other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Texastailboard View Post
    When it comes to the Marine industry it blows my mind the rates that vendors charge to a customer. Which of course so to diesel truck shops. these older diesel engines are a breeze to rebuild, get a service manual, youtube and determination and you will be fine. I have been quoted engine swap and rebuild numbers before and the vendor doesn't know we have a fleet of trucks and equipment which we do all our own work. Yes tearing down a motor in a shop is way better and cleaner, but I have done it in the middle of a job site. These older engines don't have ecm and sensors that cause troubles. So you would be capable of attempting the rebuild yourself. I would recommend getting parts from non marine dealers, prices would be way better. That what we have done. Many special tools can be made or found on ebay. The newer engines are the same , we just swapped an engine out of a 2009 Mack, the labor was about 3-4 days lots of specific part swapping, but it took 2 days of computer work to get all of sensors to be happy. We have a laptop and software that ran us about 8k. Something to also consider if your wanting to swap are the reman cummins options. Again gather your info then shop around away from the water. Do the math and shop around when you are doing this project. Marine vendors sometimes put the screws to an owner because they have money. That concept frustrates me because it eats up you boat budget and takes away from other projects.

So your saying you dont charge for time on the software when you use that $8k computer?

Not that some vendors cant be trusted but keep in mind the $2,000,000.00 minimum liability insurance, the comp and healthcare costs, rents and vehicle costs for working on boats. If you work on trucks ask your carrier how much adding marine insurance will add.

Its mind blowing. When you need to pay those costs you cant do work for $50 an hour.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The engines themselves may be similar- often are- but the work environment is different. Taking an engine out of a truck, with unlimited room around you, is not the same as having to crane it out of the engine room of a boat, and trolley it out through the aft doors, or lift it through a hole in the roof. Overhauling the engine itself seems to be the least of the work- getting it out and then back in is quite a bit more demanding.

There’s a lot of truth to that. It took about about 3/4 day to get the engine out of my yachtfish, and we had a pretty good plan and all the right equipment there. It’s one of those things where you gotta be careful, cause if you drop that sucker.............
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

[QUOTE=Canuck Dennis;344591]A great place for DD parts is Interstate McBee, highly recommended by many DD mechs. I had both my V12's done with their parts and the mechanic really was impressed with the apparent quality.[/QUOTEThanks for this info, there are many disadvantages to living in California and now this one, fortunately other outfits aren’t showing the same policy.. http://interstate-mcbee.com/calirestrictions.aspx does anyone know what’s up with this? Regards, Craig

[QUOTE=Top Hatt Craig;344790]
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    A great place for DD parts is Interstate McBee, highly recommended by many DD mechs. I had both my V12's done with their parts and the mechanic really was impressed with the apparent quality.[/QUOTEThanks for this info, there are many disadvantages to living in California and now this one, fortunately other outfits aren’t showing the same policy.. http://interstate-mcbee.com/calirestrictions.aspx does anyone know what’s up with this? Regards, Craig

Really? You have to ask?

Doing business in California sucks. If it's legal to sell it's a delivery issue. If it works it's a environmentally sensitive issue.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.