Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: I'm considering DIY overhauling both 8v71Ti's in our 58' YF!!

I’m not trying to talk you out of doing the work yourself I can only this information from growing up in boatyard hell and my observations from watching the diy process. If you are going to do it make sure to clean up as you go. The heads are heavy, have very sharp edges and things get slick with oil and diesel in a hurry. I had a customer drop a 6-71 head on his hand and it mangled it. There’s also times that I saw owners pull an engine apart 3 times and it still would spin a cam bearing after about 3 minutes of run time. The only way my Dad would do it for a customer was pull the engine, send it to a dealer and let them rebuild it and test run it. If you do decide to press on you are going to need a set of a-frames with a stout cross bar and a pair of quality come-alongs. We used a length of 2” shaft material. You also need to shore up the floor. You can cut 2x4’s and brace from the stringers. Once you have the engine lifted it’s not much more work to set the engine on a cradle and roll it out the door on pipe rollers. We had our old hoist set up with a pair of I-beams where the straps go and a long I-beam with a counterweight to reach in and lift the engine out. It was an Algonquin that was on rails that was electric so it was very controllable and quiet so you could hear the spotter. Check around and see if something’s available to get the engines out. That’s a lot of heavy iron.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
    I really enjoy learning from these threads. I used to dream of QSM’s or Cats if we win the lottery, but see that this MTU option probably makes vastly more sense. One question, why the “long block” distinction? I read the MTU web site description, and did some searches which lead me to a great David Pascoe article on Detroit’s vs all the 4-strokes, but didn’t find anything else specific about “long block”. I assume the MTU has to fit in the same 8V71 engine space and mounts?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Why bother doing all that work if its not your regular job. I'd suggest working some extra time and having it done..

1) if you get hurt and cant work your screwed.
    2) I'd not buy a boat with a DIY overhaul as a reliable rebuild.
    3) I can make asmuch or something more money doing things I do well for work than it cost to hire a good mechanic to do what he does best.

And most importantly that's a lot of work. A repower is probably easier than an inframe.
    What Scott said. I'm a firm believer that everyone should do what they do best. Fly some extra trips and hire a mechanic to do the boat work.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

If I did go with MTU long blocks I would think most of the technical overhauling is done leaving only the accessories to install (turbos, blowers ect)

I'm not worried about the work involved. I can handle big projects myself no problem. I do have lots of friends though.

Yes, the current engines are very tired now. All the symptoms of low compression are there.
    Looks like they re called MTU long blocks because Detroit belongs to MTU but they have to be identical to the older Detroits. It is a better option than rebuilding as you know they will be done right. Plus in our boats there is really no access underneath so they d have to be raised or taken out anyway. florida Detroit Allison, up on the river, is probably the local dealer for these long blocks.

Personally i dont think you want to rebuild your engines yourself. Just one mistake is all it takes to be back to square one. This is why i repowered but the long blocks are a good alternative
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    I really enjoy learning from these threads. I used to dream of QSM’s or Cats if we win the lottery, but see that this MTU option probably makes vastly more sense. One question, why the “long block” distinction? I read the MTU web site description, and did some searches which lead me to a great David Pascoe article on Detroit’s vs all the 4-strokes, but didn’t find anything else specific about “long block”. I assume the MTU has to fit in the same 8V71 engine space and mounts?
    A long block is the block assembly (short block) plus the cylinder heads. Same engine just comes with the liners and crank installed and the heads with valve job already torqued to the block.

I have assisted in some engine swaps where we used a sky track lift to remove the engines. We secured an I beam of the proper length to one of the forks. Then the I beam is sent through the salon door or wherever the access point is and attached to the engine. Old engine out and new one back in place in one sitting. No need for jacks, shoring up, etc. Just make sure everything is loose and ready to come out before you call the rental company if you are doing a one day rental.

Do any of the newer engines use sleeves like the older DDs did?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Looks like they re called MTU long blocks because Detroit belongs to MTU but they have to be identical to the older Detroits. It is a better option than rebuilding as you know they will be done right. Plus in our boats there is really no access underneath so they d have to be raised or taken out anyway. florida Detroit Allison, up on the river, is probably the local dealer for these long blocks.

Personally i dont think you want to rebuild your engines yourself. Just one mistake is all it takes to be back to square one. This is why i repowered but the long blocks are a good alternative
    Clearly, as of now, an MTU long block makes obvious sense.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Yes, the current engines are very tired now. All the symptoms of low compression are there.
    You mean you checked the valve adjustments and then did a dry compression check followed by a wet one in any suspect cylinders and ALL of it is bad on the lower end?

You may find you're lucky and just have to R&R head(s).... or rebuild one or two jugs and get a whole bunch more hours out of them.

There's a lot you can do before you condemn the whole motor.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have very hard cold starts, smoke like a volcano when cold. Bluish smoke, the smell of unburned fuel in the exhaust is nauseating. High oil consumption.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney