Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I'm considering DIY overhauling both 8v71Ti's in our 58' YF!!

So I'm faced with several decisions on which direction to go with overhauling in frame or engine swap for our 1972 58' Yachtfisherman.
    Yes, I am well aware of the size and scope of the project. No I will not hire a "professional" to do the job as I have no need since I can do most of the work myself while having access to many friends in the overhaul industry for technical guidance .

My main discussion questions are mainly to those that have done "in frame" overhauls and to those that have done engine out swaps. This experience is very valuable to me. Any thoughts, tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Not to be overlooked, I have contemplated the idea of perhaps going to a newer engine (cummins/CAT) but obviously the costs are vastly different and perhaps prohibitive.

So let's here the pros and cons, the experiences and the do's and don'ts.

Mario
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: I'm considering DIY overhauling both 8v71Ti's in our 58' YF!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
    So I'm faced with several decisions on which direction to go with overhauling in frame or engine swap for our 1972 58' Yachtfisherman.
    Yes, I am well aware of the size and scope of the project. No I will not hire a "professional" to do the job as I have no need since I can do most of the work myself while having access to many friends in the overhaul industry for technical guidance .

My main discussion questions are mainly to those that have done "in frame" overhauls and to those that have done engine out swaps. This experience is very valuable to me. Any thoughts, tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Not to be overlooked, I have contemplated the idea of perhaps going to a newer engine (cummins/CAT) but obviously the costs are vastly different and perhaps prohibitive.

So let's here the pros and cons, the experiences and the do's and don'ts.

Mario
    From a cost perspective, plan on about 13-14k per engine. About 5k for new turbos and blowers. 3k to get the heads reworked. 4k for the basic overhaul kit (pistons, rings, bearings, liners), 1k for injectors, 1k for gaskets and consumables. I've built many engines, so in many respects, it wasn't my 1st rodeo... fitting the liners is a tough job, and the sheer weight of the components makes it hard. The ER on my 63 is huge, so I was able to pull the upper oil pan (130lbs), without lifting the engine. If you can't do that, I'd advise against it. Access to the underside of my engine was easy. Without that access, farm it out.

It seems to me that the biggest problem is that you all live on your boat. Living on your boat whilst you are overhauling the engines sounds like a very unpleasant situation to me. Do they need it that badly?I would think that your most efficient and cost effective way to do this is to contract for two rebuilt 8-71 long blocks, and swap them into your boat. Send your engines back as cores.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    It seems to me that the biggest problem is that you all live on your boat. Living on your boat whilst you are overhauling the engines sounds like a very unpleasant situation to me. Do they need it that badly?I would think that your most efficient and cost effective way to do this is to contract for two rebuilt 8-71 long blocks, and swap them into your boat. Send your engines back as cores.
    Yeah, no way we'll stay on the boat. Probably stay at our house or somewhere.

The long block idea sounds interesting.
    Mario
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    From a cost perspective, plan on about 13-14k per engine. About 5k for new turbos and blowers. 3k to get the heads reworked. 4k for the basic overhaul kit (pistons, rings, bearings, liners), 1k for injectors, 1k for gaskets and consumables. I've built many engines, so in many respects, it wasn't my 1st rodeo... fitting the liners is a tough job, and the sheer weight of the components makes it hard. The ER on my 63 is huge, so I was able to pull the upper oil pan (130lbs), without lifting the engine. If you can't do that, I'd advise against it. Access to the underside of my engine was easy. Without that access, farm it out.
    Yeah, by the looks of it, there is poor access under the engine . Engine will have to be lifted somehow.
    Mario
    Siboney

Mario, I’m finishing up this exact project now on my port engine. You can’t pull the oil pan without lifting the engine, which means unhooking it from the transmission, or lifting both somehow. At 3200 or 3500 pounds that task alone is tough. I didn’t want to do all of the piston and internal work myself so bought a long block from MTU. Yep, they have a long block program where they will give you about 2k back for your block. Once this was factored in the long block cost me 16k. Now yes the turbos and blower, intercooler and anything else you want to change will be on top of that, but I figured if I got it from MTU I stood a better chance of getting it done right than farming out to someone I didn’t know. Also, up here in NE there are simply not a whole lot of shops that will do this. You can find their long block program if you google it. Take LOTS of pics with the camera because it greatly improves your confidence when putting the accessories back on to the new engine. The little things take an inordinate amount of time to figure out if you don’t take pics....... and from several angles helps too.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Why bother doing all that work if its not your regular job. I'd suggest working some extra time and having it done..

1) if you get hurt and cant work your screwed.
    2) I'd not buy a boat with a DIY overhaul as a reliable rebuild.
    3) I can make asmuch or something more money doing things I do well for work than it cost to hire a good mechanic to do what he does best.

And most importantly that's a lot of work. A repower is probably easier than an inframe.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Mario, I’m finishing up this exact project now on my port engine. You can’t pull the oil pan without lifting the engine, which means unhooking it from the transmission, or lifting both somehow. At 3200 or 3500 pounds that task alone is tough. I didn’t want to do all of the piston and internal work myself so bought a long block from MTU. Yep, they have a long block program where they will give you about 2k back for your block. Once this was factored in the long block cost me 16k. Now yes the turbos and blower, intercooler and anything else you want to change will be on top of that, but I figured if I got it from MTU I stood a better chance of getting it done right than farming out to someone I didn’t know. Also, up here in NE there are simply not a whole lot of shops that will do this. You can find their long block program if you google it. Take LOTS of pics with the camera because it greatly improves your confidence when putting the accessories back on to the new engine. The little things take an inordinate amount of time to figure out if you don’t take pics....... and from several angles helps too.

A quick search found me this:

https://www.mtu-online.com/mtu-north...e/long-blocks/
    Mario
    Siboney

Unless you REALLY enjoy this kind of work and you are good at it.. I'd hire it done.

You might also be able to hire a good DD mechanic who would agree to have you be the second pair of hands, but he would be in charge. I've done that a few times and it's worked out well. I'm the helper- I learn a lot, and save a few dollars in the bargain.

MTU guaranteed long blocks are a good idea. You still have to have rebuilt turbos, blowers, heat exchangers, etc.

I don't envy you. Are your present engines THAT tired? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Unless you REALLY enjoy this kind of work and you are good at it.. I'd hire it done.

You might also be able to hire a good DD mechanic who would agree to have you be the second pair of hands, but he would be in charge. I've done that a few times and it's worked out well. I'm the helper- I learn a lot, and save a few dollars in the bargain.

MTU guaranteed long blocks are a good idea. You still have to have rebuilt turbos, blowers, heat exchangers, etc.

I don't envy you. Are your present engines THAT tired? Really?
    If I did go with MTU long blocks I would think most of the technical overhauling is done leaving only the accessories to install (turbos, blowers ect)

I'm not worried about the work involved. I can handle big projects myself no problem. I do have lots of friends though.

Yes, the current engines are very tired now. All the symptoms of low compression are there.
    Mario
    Siboney