Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Owner

Re: New Owner

Congrats to both Jammin and Tiparootom!!

We are just about 3 1/2 years full time live-aboards, and the only regret is not doing it sooner. This forum is a great source of very specific information on these magnificent vessels, based on decades of experience and a willingness to share that expertise and wisdom with us newbies. Don’t get discouraged, it’s all worthwhile for the time you get to spend on her underway or anchoring, or whatever you enjoy on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiparootom View Post
    Guess, my wife and i get to chime in on this thread. We closed on our 1972 53'MY on Friday. We get to pick her up on Wednesday in Deland, FL and we'll be bringing he r down to Palm Beach. Too excited.
    Tiparootom: How was your trip down? We are in Palm Beach Gardens next to Carmine’s, love this area. Hope to see you cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Don’t get discouraged. Take one or two items and finish them completely. Before to long things start getting ship shape. Good luck and post photos of before and after.
    This is good advice, and keep in mind on any given day there are the projects that you know about, and almost an equal number that you don’t know about (yet). On a good day they are mostly aligned.

I have noticed that some of the things I thought were priorities when we first bought the boat weren’t such a big deal after all, so you might focus on the most important things (water tight, safety, mechanical, electrical) and give your self some time to think about the less critical as you learn her nuances.

Good luck and happy cruising to you both!!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Congratulations on the new boat!

We're making slow progress. Every time we find a new problem we say, "Good news!". We're thinking maybe we should change the name of the boat to Good News.

Friday we had the holding tank pump out boat come by. Wouldn't pump out a thing. I took it apart and the tank is full and all the lines are bad. Good News!

There was a smell in the aft cabin that really bothered Jean. Turns out the shower sump pump was malfunctioning and pumping soapy grey water into the bilge under the floor of the cabin and festering. Good News!
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    We're making slow progress. Every time we find a new problem we say, "Good news!". We're thinking maybe we should change the name of the boat to Good News.

Friday we had the holding tank pump out boat come by. Wouldn't pump out a thing. I took it apart and the tank is full and all the lines are bad. Good News!

There was a smell in the aft cabin that really bothered Jean. Turns out the shower sump pump was malfunctioning and pumping soapy grey water into the bilge under the floor of the cabin and festering. Good News!
    Well, at least there's lots of info on both issues on this site. The holding tank issue is well covered. I might direct your attention to this professionally produced video on Hatteras holding tank repair. I found it both informative and inspirational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_Qa38KNBA

Be sure and view the entire twelve part series.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Well, at least there's lots of info on both issues on this site. The holding tank issue is well covered. I might direct your attention to this professionally produced video on Hatteras holding tank repair. I found it both informative and inspirational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_Qa38KNBA

Be sure and view the entire twelve part series.
    I skipped to part 12. The beginning was full of crap!
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Robert,
    Are you in town? I'm still in my slip for a few more days till i get my heat exchangers and cooling system reinstalled since I am completing a cooling system overhaul. I saw you had another post about Alexseal and my boat was painted with it back in 2011. I am located on M Dock all the way down near the inlet to the harbor. Give me a ring sometime.

Alex Sherard
    (330) 233-3782
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Change out all of those hoses. That will help with the flow as well as the smell. Hopefully you’re changing out the tube that’s in the waste tank to PVC. We don’t live aboard but we put a 1/4 cup of bleach to help with the smell of gray water that sits in the sump each time we leave.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by BFDfirefighter16 View Post
    Robert,
    Are you in town? I'm still in my slip for a few more days till i get my heat exchangers and cooling system reinstalled since I am completing a cooling system overhaul. I saw you had another post about Alexseal and my boat was painted with it back in 2011. I am located on M Dock all the way down near the inlet to the harbor. Give me a ring sometime.

Alex Sherard
    (330) 233-3782
    Alex,

I'd love to see it. We are not in town now. I'll get in touch when we are back there.

Thank you.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Change out all of those hoses. That will help with the flow as well as the smell. Hopefully you’re changing out the tube that’s in the waste tank to PVC.
    The pickup tube is already PVC although I measured it about 1-1/2" from the bottom of the tank. We are changing the pump out hose, the waste in from the aft head hose and the vent line, and installing a Raritan Elegance toilet in the aft head. We are temporarily capping off the line from the forward head. At a later date, we plan to replace the forward toilet and hose, install an overboard discharge for the holding tank, which the boat no longer has, and a Purasan EX treatment unit. We are using Raritan Sani/Flex hose for ease of future changes.

For now, it will just be good to have one working head.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA