Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Owner

Re: New Owner

Hey, it's taken me 53 years so far--and she was new when I started!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I appreciate the encouragement. I was at a bit of a low point after last weekend. We have 3-4 years to get it in shape for extended cruising. My small victory of the week was finding a pair of stainless steel exhaust elbows in stock at Johnson & Towers in New Jersey. Turbo versions were easy to find, but not for the naturals. I will need to do a little modification of the water inlet as it has a 90* elbow and I need a straight inlet. I'll post pictures when it's done.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Hi Robert,

Congrats on the boat.....

Like the others said, don't get overwhelmed / depressed by the "to do list".....I have been working on my boat for the last 2 years since I retired and there has been many times when I thought it was either to daunting or a never ending endeavor.

What works for me is to pick a project that you can do now that will make the biggest impact with the least amount of time/effort. When I did that and completed it, it lifted my spirits up making me wanting to do the next project.

This forum is also a great way to find tried and true solutions...... and a lot of them are very well documented (which is worth it's weight in gold)....you don't have to go it alone, we are here to help each other.

Best of luck with your beautiful boat.

All really good advice... It would probably be a "spirit lifter" if you also pick a project that may be only
    cosmetic but you see it every time you go aboard. Be aware that you will never have anything that needs
    to be done.... it's called boating.... Jim Grove (Fanfare) is a perfect example as he says that after over
    50 years there are still things that need to get done from time to time. I actually looked forward to
    working on the boat (when I was younger and had the energy). The feeling of satisfaction is wonderful.

Walt

Robert,
    If you need anything let me know. I will be out at my boat almost everyday for the next 4-5 weeks knocking out my "Do Now List" since I have to haul out and have Brad Burns survey for me to get a new insurance company since I was dropped with only a few months notice due to my boat not being worth 125k or more.

When you had your survey done where did the boat get hauled out? was it Tripp's in Shallotte, NC? You and your wife are more than welcome to come look at my 44TC anytime.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Thank you. It was Grande Harbor Marina. I picked Brad coincidentally to do the survey as the previous owner had already enlisted him to do an insurance survey for the same reasons you are. I plan to be down in March next. I'm waiting for some parts to come in to take down.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Sounds good Robert!
    Get in touch with me when you come down. I am planning to haul my 44 between the second and third week in March. I found a DIY yard without having to motor to Wilmington, NC. I'm planning on doing the bottom paint, Replace a thru hull valve, Zincs, Rudder posts, restoring the function of the trim tabs, and pulling all the bronze portlights to sandblast, paint, and re-bed them. But hopefully I will have her back in the water when you come down.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302

I was surprised to find that I had several different sizes of bronze portlights. Jack Hargrave's artist's eye made all harmonious until I measured.

Bear in mind that if you mark the location of each frame in magic marker on the port that this disappears when you strip the paint. (I didn't make this mistake but the guy who stripped them did!)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Thank you Jim!!
    I didn't realize that so I will hopefully keep them straight when I pull them. Did you paint them?
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302

I have the bronze portholes with curved, half-round ends common to early Hatteras yachts. I had a pro paint mine, probably sprayed the paint because they looked like new. Each has an interior bronze frame for its screen. The screen was originally copper but became brittle with age. Some newer ones are stainless screen soldered to the frame, others fiberglass screening. My two guest cabin ports are often open but not so much in the aft master cabin because so much salt and paint chips fall inside. Instead I usually open the screened deck escape hatch under the outdoor settee. (But not open too wide or people shove their feet through the screen.) On a couple occasions when the generator fails I am happy to open everything to the outside breeze.

I have had two ports on the port side of the master crack, possibly from hull flex in heavy seas. I replaced the glass with Plexiglas which stays strong but crazes after a decade or so of sun. Replace any of these while apart. There is a gray square extruded gasket material with a hollow center you can use to replace any of the old material to seal better. Measure carefully, cut at an angle, put the gap on the top so water won't drain in. Seal to the hull with 3M 4200 because someday you will need to do this again and unlike 5200 this comes off.