Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owner

Re: New Owner

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Don’t miss Mama Jean’s on Hwy 90 for breakfast. We bought our boat in Little River 3 years ago, and I would never miss breakfast there if I was anywhere close...or even not close. Congrats on your new boat.
    Jean and I will definitely get to Mama Jean's next time! They were closed for dinner and we had other things to do this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BFDfirefighter16 View Post
    Sounds great!!! If you need anything feel free to call or text me. I will probably head up there to check on my boat this afternoon. I would love to see yours sometime. My cell is 330-233-3782.Alex S.
    Thank you. I'd like to see your boat too.

Well, the rose colored glasses are definitely off now. We met with two mechanics Saturday. I thought it would take an hour, but we spent 5 hours going over things. A number of items were added to the "do now" list. I took down with me a new Rule 1500 pump and Ultra Jr. switch for the forward bilge pump which was ancient and not working. Eventually I'll do the others as well.

With the time we had left after going over things, Jean cleaned and I started work cleaning up the helm. The gauges are all mismatched, there's glued down gray carpet all over the horizontal surface under the windshield, there's an electronics box above that is awful and very ugly wiring going up to it. I spent all of my time scraping carpet adhesive off one area on the port side of the salon entry.

I really focused on functional things in buying this boat. All the rest of the things that need to be done are just sinking in. There is so much to be done it's daunting and a little depressing. It will take us years to make this boat the way we want it. It's hard to look at the whole of it without getting a little discouraged. Every little detail needs work. I guess we just pick our battles one at a time.

Best improvement so far: throwing out the industrial strength air "fresheners".
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Don’t get discouraged. Take one or two items and finish them completely. Before to long things start getting ship shape. Good luck and post photos of before and after.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I usually recomend my customers use the ultra switches with the second channel for the high water alarm.

Keep that in mind as it's easier to install it once.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There are 5 different brands of gauges not including the fuel gauges. The second photo is after scraping. It's slow going and I still need to put a coat of stripper on to finish it up.

Hatteras Dash old.jpgHatteras Dash scraping.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Guess, my wife and i get to chime in on this thread. We closed on our 1972 53'MY on Friday. We get to pick her up on Wednesday in Deland, FL and we'll be bringing he r down to Palm Beach. Too excited.
    TiparooTom

Life Unleashed
    1972 53' MY
    HATAM3831172
    Palm Beach, FL

New paint will make it shine. I see what you mean on the gauges. If it were me I’d redo the entire helm. in the long run it will be cheaper than piece mealI got it like the prior owner did.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Tiparootom View Post
    Guess, my wife and i get to chime in on this thread. We closed on our 1972 53'MY on Friday. We get to pick her up on Wednesday in Deland, FL and we'll be bringing he r down to Palm Beach. Too excited.
    Congratulations!! Please share photos and stories.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Jammin"

I was somewhat where you are today just over 2 years ago. I knew what I was getting into and spent dearly hiring both a good marine surveyor and mechanic for the engine and generator survey. I was satisfied then and still am that I have a great boat. My surveyor made up a list for me including costs and he was quite accurate. I have spent a lot of time and money that I knew I was going to have to spend. No surprises but I still have a long way to go.

I agree with Seven...do not be discouraged! One (or 2) projects at a time. I hope you love working on boats.

When you are passing this way on the trip home, please look me up and we can compare projects. I am happy to help you any way that I can.

The boat is at Tidewater Yacht Marina in Portsmouth, Virginia.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Don’t get discouraged. Take one or two items and finish them completely. Before to long things start getting ship shape. Good luck and post photos of before and after.
    This is the best advise anyone can give to a new boat owner, follow it and you'll be a happy boater.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    There is so much to be done it's daunting and a little depressing. It will take us years to make this boat the way we want it. It's hard to look at the whole of it without getting a little discouraged. Every little detail needs work. I guess we just pick our battles one at a time.
    Not to be a buzz kill, but it took me 10 solid years to get my 1976 43DC where I want it. Try to enjoy the trip, the folks who make up this site are a tremendous resource. Do it once and it right
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY