Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Mildew and Flybridge Ventilation

What you need is Obex. They make a clothing treatment and a boat wash. I use the clothing product in a sprayer and spray everything in all locations you discribe. It doesn’t stain anything and if you spray the areas and items of concern two to three times a year......in south FL....you won’t have a speck of mildew! I had closed dock box’s on the bow of my Hatt that stored extra power cords etc. it drove me crazy that they were full of mildew after being perfect just a month or two. Once I started using Obex even after being gone over six months in the FL summer...not a speck of mildew!! I use it on my Intrepid as well and after being gone seven months with a full canvas cover on…not a speck! Spray all storage areas,fenders,life jackets,cushions and anything else of concern! Save hous of cleaning it just works! You can order it on Amazon, I get it by the gallon!

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    What you need is Obex. They make a clothing treatment and a boat wash. I use the clothing product in a sprayer and spray everything in all locations you discribe. It doesn’t stain anything and if you spray the areas and items of concern two to three times a year......in south FL....you won’t have a speck of mildew! I had closed dock box’s on the bow of my Hatt that stored extra power cords etc. it drove me crazy that they were full of mildew after being perfect just a month or two. Once I started using Obex even after being gone over six months in the FL summer...not a speck of mildew!! I use it on my Intrepid as well and after being gone seven months with a full canvas cover on…not a speck! Spray all storage areas,fenders,life jackets,cushions and anything else of concern! Save hous of cleaning it just works! You can order it on Amazon, I get it by the gallon!
    Worth a try. Thanks for the tip.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Mr. Clarkson,

My 42c has a three louvered aluminum vent on each side of the flybridge at the rear. They have held paint well and look to be Hatteras original equipment. My bridge structure is all connected inside so you will need more than two I think.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Mr. Clarkson,My 42c has a three louvered aluminum vent on each side of the flybridge at the rear. They have held paint well and look to be Hatteras original equipment. My bridge structure is all connected inside so you will need more than two I think. Walt Hoover
    Mr. Hoover, thanks. I have those two, but they are solid panels. Hence the problem.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks. The fans look interesting. The price scares me, though--too cheap. Whatever I use, it'll be on 24/7. Timers are just another layer. I've run the Dayton units in RVs and on boats operating continuously over the years. 3-4 years is about normal and enough.

I use the odoban or similar regularly as well. I think I probably need a sign-off sheet like for the showers at a truck stop to help me remember all the places that could use a spritz.
    I feel ya on the price. Personally I wouldn't want these running 24/7. Think when the morning air is heavy with dew, don't think you would want to suck that air in would you? I think I'd only want to run it a few times a day, or maybe just mid-day for a few hours.

I'm sure there are higher quality vendors for that style of fans. If you want the holy grail of computer fans (like you pic'd) you will want Noctua
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Found these louvers and they actually look pretty good.

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.48.11 PM.jpg

Installed four at the flybridge corners--about the easiest thing I ever did on Aslan.

IMG_0114.jpg

Neat clean install. 3" hole saw and some 5200 (I'll get that pencil mark off this week). We'll see how they do. I can always add a small fan at anytime.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Solar powered vents in the bow stateroom are common on sailboats, they pull air through the cracks around the cockpit hatch and/or the engine room ventilation and provide slow, but steady air exchange in daylight hours.
    They work great, I installed one in the forward hatch on our last sailboat and mold/mildew was gone forever without chemicals.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331