Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mildew and Flybridge Ventilation

Looking for ideas. I have a mildew issue on seat cushions and life jackets stored in the forward compartment of my flybridge. Its a cavernous area easily capable of allowing me to supplement my retirement income thru some part time human trafficking if I so desired. I also have a smaller issue under my helm. Whatever I do forward, I'd likely do similarly under the helm.

I was thinking some natural ventilation might mitigate the situation; e.g., installing louvers in the twin access doors. Louvers six or eight inches square seem right. Don't want any paper thin gonna get brittle quick plastic. Also up there are two paralleled 12V AGMs on a charger for the electronics; i.e., 115VAC is close. Maybe a small AC/DC axial flow fan with or without louvers is a solution. Storing the six huge cushions in a cabin would be a real PIA.

My practice of continuous use of squirrel cage blowers in the ER and the cabin seems to have pretty much taken care of the mildew potential in those areas.

s-l640.jpg
    Has anyone already invented that wheel?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Mildew and Flybridge Ventilation

Not a bad idea at all.
    Maybe look into a fan that's used in front of car radiators, would be DC and waterproof.
    Another option might be to use a DC exhaust blower to be able to keep it away from water.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Not a bad idea at all.
    Maybe look into a fan that's used in front of car radiators, would be DC and waterproof.
    Another option might be to use a DC exhaust blower to be able to keep it away from water.
    Exhaust type blower good idea. I think the automotive one will be more than I need plus it'd be loud I think.

They key appears to be the louvers (appearance) or maybe just some vents (less complicated).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Exhaust type blower good idea. I think the automotive one will be more than I need plus it'd be loud I think.

They key appears to be the louvers (appearance) or maybe just some vents (less complicated).
    I've got a few of these on the way for a refrigeration project on the new mezzanine.

I like that it's a squirrel cage 'style' and the blades are not easily exposed and snagged. You could probably feed these from outside somewhere.

Don't think I'd leave them on continuous but you could rig them up on a timer of sorts to run them an hour or so every 12 hours or something like that would probably be good. Just something to keep the air moving.

I've also had REALLY good luck with Odoban. I keep a 50% spray bottle and everytime before I leave the boat (usually for longer than a week) I'll spray/mist all flooring, drapes, beds and hatches. The boat is nowhere near as stanky as it used to get before I started spraying.

Think I googled brushless computer fan blowers to find them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-Blo...frcectupt=true
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thanks. The fans look interesting. The price scares me, though--too cheap. Whatever I use, it'll be on 24/7. Timers are just another layer. I've run the Dayton units in RVs and on boats operating continuously over the years. 3-4 years is about normal and enough.

I use the odoban or similar regularly as well. I think I probably need a sign-off sheet like for the showers at a truck stop to help me remember all the places that could use a spritz.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Since you have 110V up there you may want to try something that uses a humidistat. We use these on crawl spaces some when there is mold problems and the owner wants to keep the perimeter sealed up. Of course if your humidity is like in LA they probably run 80% of the time anyway. I wouldn't go with their galvanized louver on a boat but the fans are made to install behind a louver.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7483_200327483

Let me know how your deal works. I have been storing my cushions in the forward berth top bunk and it is a pain to send them up and down each trip. There should be aluminum louvers available. If you are OK with teak there is a company local to me that custom builds them.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Since you have 110V up there you may want to try something that uses a humidistat. We use these on crawl spaces some when there is mold problems and the owner wants to keep the perimeter sealed up. Of course if your humidity is like in LA they probably run 80% of the time anyway. I wouldn't go with their galvanized louver on a boat but the fans are made to install behind a louver.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7483_200327483

Let me know how your deal works. I have been storing my cushions in the forward berth top bunk and it is a pain to send them up and down each trip. There should be aluminum louvers available. If you are OK with teak there is a company local to me that custom builds them.
    Thank you. You're right about the humidity--they'd never shutdown!

If I went with teak it'd be the first teak on the outside. I like not liking teak!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

There is a teak vent for sale on another thread for $10 with what appears to be aluminum louvers. Im sure you will need more than 1 but may be worth a look

How about a couple of solar powered vents?

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Why not just keep it simple and start out with several stainless vents and some cross ventilation if possible before adding another layer of complexity.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia